Truck & Trailer Advertising Model

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Many moons ago, my employer suggested I make a paper model of one of the delivery vans in their fleet.
I took on the idea and started designing a model. You can see the start of that here: http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174272

Anyway, a short while later, my employer upped the ante.
He decided that the delivery van does not represent all the services that the company provides.
He decided that he wanted me to make a model of one of the large trucks that the company uses.
So, the van design was put on hold and I started to design a new model.

The companies truck fleet comprises of Mercedes Actros and M.A.N rigid-chassis trucks.
Here is a pic of one of the Actros's in the loading bay.

DSC_0030.jpg

The truck is very 'boxy' in design and I thought it would be a simple model to design and build. And between the two truck manufacturers, the designs are almost identical.
The boss wanted the model to be simple to build, as not everybody out there has strong paper modelling skills.
The trucks also use a trailer for larger loads and I decided to model one of these too.

I trawled the internet and found line drawings of the cab of the truck I wanted to model. I had decided to model the M.A.N.

64bd7726-4696-4eae-a6ab-5e71beeca4ba.jpg

Before I go further, I want to once again show my gratitude to Revell-Fan for the extensive and comprehensive help he provided me in this project. Without him, I don't think I would of got this far. Thank you very much R-F !!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

With absolutely no knowledge of Sketchup, I started to trace the line drawings to create the 3D model.

SU.png

This is the completed cab section.

SU2.png

I then started putting all the other basic components together and started playing with textures.

SU3.jpg

This is the (almost) complete design.....

SU4.jpg

I added a lot more details and parts like mirrors and the tow hitch.
Once I had all the components modelled, I used the Flattery plugin in Sketchup to unfold the model.
I exported the unfolded model as a vector graphics file ready to import it into another program that I have never used: Inkscape.

SU5.jpg

After a VERY steep learning curve in using Inkscape, I cleaned up the model, added good textures and produced the 2 page A4 pdf file ready.

SU6.jpg

I printed a copy and built the first model. Once completed, I gave this to my boss. He was absolutely bowled over with it. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I am finishing off the instructions at the moment and this will then complete the project.

On a side note, my boss showed the model to a couple of companies that he deals with regularly, and I have already had four orders for the same model in different liveries :eek:
All I have to do now is decide how much to charge them for it!! :rolleyes:
So, you CAN make money out of this hobby :mrgreen:

Anyway, in my next post, the completed model as given to my boss.

Thanks for looking in everybody :thumb:

:wave:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Well done, my young Padawan!

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I think this thread is great! Good for you Dan, you are KING!! :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Dan, you did a FANTASTIC JOB on this model.
KUDOS TO YOU ON A FINE JOB WELL DONE!!!
This would make for a GREAT marketing tool.

sjsquirrel

Congratulations Dan. An excellent job and doubly impressive given that you had to learn the tools as you went. I just started learning Inkscape myself a couple weeks ago so I can appreciate what you were dealing with. Still haven't gotten around to learning Sketchup (I use Metasequoia) but the more I see of it the more inclined I am to have a go at it.

Thanks for the inspiring thread.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Congratulations Dan. An excellent job and doubly impressive given that you had to learn the tools as you went. I just started learning Inkscape myself a couple weeks ago so I can appreciate what you were dealing with. Still haven't gotten around to learning Sketchup (I use Metasequoia) but the more I see of it the more inclined I am to have a go at it.

Thanks for the inspiring thread.

Geez, your work is so excellent "SJS", I look up to your work. I guess I am going have to check out Inkscape, you guys are doing so well with it.

Dan, your speed at this makes you a natural, which does not preclude the effort you put into what you do. I highly encourage you to consider expanding and soliciting business for more work. This forum does not allow it, and it is not some place where advertising for your work will yield much but if you create similar works for other local business, you may a greater commercial succcess yet find. Just be careful, you put these ideas out there without a signature of non-disclosure, you could find the idea done in house, so never leave a work behind in the hands of a prospective buyer, and NEVER give the a .pdf of the model, that's like giving it all away for free, which is O.K., if that is what you want to do, but no good for business. It is very few people that can make money in this business. In fact, I know of only one person who does this as a living, and I'm not sure if it is the only thing he does. His work is masterful. It's a hard economy right now. :)

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement everybody.

I have a trusted print company to do my prints, and trust giving them the files.
As far as prospective clients are concerned, they will receive printed copies only, that way ensuring some security. I cannot stop them scanning it though. The other option is to sell the pdf to a client.
I am still working all this out, as it has happened so fast.

I have so much on my plate in life at the moment, that this is going to cost me something I have little of: Time!
But, I will persevere.

Again, thank you all!