TRON ~ Sark's carrier

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gearz, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Gearz

Gearz Member

I promised myself I wouldn't post about a project until I'd finished most of the ones already gathering dust, however, while searching for some textures, I came across this one I'd forgotten about, and the promise went right out the window.. Sadly it was one of those projects that steamed ahead until a design issue brought it to a screeching halt. :oops:

Sark's REZ Carrier from the original TRON movie was a favourite of mine, and i wanted a model of it as soon as it appeared on the screen. * Its another one of Sid Mead's brilliant ship designs ~ He also designed 'The Sulaco'

The 3D mesh took me ages to work up and I wasn't 100% happy with it, although after comparing it with screen caps until I went crossed eyed, I think its pretty close. From a design point of view, the un-attached or floating 'rails' on the inner side presented a problem. My solution was to / was going to be .... build the rails and then slot them into a semi hidden 'cradle' that attached to the side and upper decks. umm... clear as mud? It might have worked.

Where the project really stalled was the materials = extremely paper hungry. It was up 25+ pages just for the side/main hull and bridge, and it would easily tripled that with all the inner rails and upper deck.etc. A bit rich for a medium sized model that a handful of modellers may have built.. (btb, that's an A3 mat is in the pix) It certainly required a lot of long and VERY straight folds to achieve acceptable results.. All in all a great looking design, just a little tricky to develop in paper.

*Hmmm.. Probably a work around might be offering the model as a half build, that is to say just the main hull/ bridge and the forward+ aft ... ummm... curved thingies. As a wall mounted model etc possibly with a shot from the movie a backdrop..

Anyway, sorry for posting a thread to no where. Just general interest for great design, out of an excellent movie for its time. I'll try to finish it off as soon as I clear some higher priorities.

cheers

Attached Files:

2. ekuth

ekuth Guest

I would/will totally build this! :thumb:
  3. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE

Dude,

All or nothing. :)
  4. Gearz

Gearz Member

Yep.. Roger that.. :oops:
  5. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

I'll echo what ARMORMAN said: all or nothing. I ain't downloading no 'tweener ship. sign1

This and several of Marco's Recognizers in formation would look superlative! Unless you are going to provide a few mini-versions? :twisted:
  6. clif52

clif52 Banned

Very COOL! I love that movie. I can't wait to see the new one. I think Disney is doing it in 3D.

Clif52
    For a while I was ShadowKnight
  7. Testostrogen

Testostrogen New Member

This looks like its gonna be good!
    Cant Wait!
  8. Kjev

Kjev Member

Well, I've got the tank, and the lightcycle (MAN if they came out with a real bike that looked like that, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!), so yeah! We need the carrier too.
  9. Gearz

Gearz Member

T'was a great movie.. rarely do you get a stand alone flick with so many model worthy subjects.. And yep I'd buy one as well, but knowing me, it'd be.. WoooHOOOoooooooooo ( screeeeeeeeeeechhh.... BAAANNGG)
  10. Kjev

Kjev Member

I've ridden a small dirtbike twice, about 15 years ago. I don't think I ever got over 30 miles an hour. But I'd still buy one.
  11. wolflone

wolflone New Member

Hello Gearz

:eek::twisted: Well, my friend, It's me, Nemesis 33. What can i say to you?. This is a mega project, man. Off course you're not posting a thread to no where. As I've said to you: Take your time and develop your projects step by step, slowly but with steady hand, don't rush, 'cause you know, if you let the stress or pressure take you down, at the end you will achieve nothing. If you want to make different projects, divide by steps of every one of them and when you feel inspired, make an advance, step by step, save your work and continue with another, but try to maintain certain order to avoid a horrible mess at the end. And over all these things, relax and enjoy this works as you were doing until now. Take sometimes a break, my friend, your mind and body will thank you. Cheers. PD. By the way, I've assembled a papercraft camera in nearly two months. Making the process by little steps. Do the same man and the work will flow more easily for you:thumb:. Cheers!
  12. Darth Windius

Darth Windius Member

Hello Gearz

Happy to see you back on the line :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Good model choice, and at this time really good beginning (as usual) :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Waiting to see (and get) the final beast!!!!!!
  13. Grig

Grig New Member

A tron tank would be nice too
  14. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE

already one out there.
  15. Marco Scheloske

Marco Scheloske Member

The Carrier would be a great addition to my Recognizer... so keep going!
  16. Nexus9

Nexus9 Member

Hey Gearz, this is really cool! I love Sark's ship. The other design that really sticks in my head from Tron is the lightsail ship.
  17. Grig

Grig New Member

Found it, thanks.
  18. custommodellbau

custommodellbau Member

TRON yeahhhhhhhh
    Great:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
  19. lajosba

lajosba New Member

20. ikariya

ikariya New Member

I just saw the new trailer and can't wait to see this come out!