triple template

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Hey guys, while I was surfing the web the other day I found a site that had a triple stack template of containers and in the middle of the download we lost power. Does anyone know of this site? I'm pretty sure it was a private website but could be mistaken.:confused:

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Trainmasta13601,Although this is a very nice loco what does it have to do with my question? I'm just wondering if you meant to post this somewhere else?:confused: Also if you had an attachment on your last post it did not come thru.Thanx

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Originally posted by Woodie
Trainmasta,

Hooley Mc'Stuffin gooley!! How far does that thing stretch? What is it supposed to do? Does it go round corners?? :):)

It is an Emd DD40x. The U.P. had a bunch of them that were called "Centenials." The S.P. had 3 similar cabless boosters by Emd that were DD35x's. It is essentially two gp35 units on a single frame. They were also known as 6000 horsepower track straighteners.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Hi Woodie,

perhaps the EMD engineers thought about the Nullarbor Plain when they designed that baby! No corners for x hundred miles, right?

The IDEAL pulling power then - oh well, apart from the track gauge (but that's an unimportant detail :D :D :D)

Ron

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Hey Guys thanks the templates for the containers they are great.
Tad, you have found the one I was in the middle of downloading.:) :)
Woodie thank for all your efforts as well I'm going to try to down size the ones you sent me,but am wondering is it possible to change the text on the templates to something like Coke or a beer brand.
Mark the search idea did come to me too and I got the same results.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Belg,

Just go to Google, and do an "image" search for the logo you need.

Right click on the appropriate logo. click"copy".

Load the base template into paint, or a photo program.

go to "edit" and click "paste". resize to what you need and put it on the side of the container. I used Photodraw, and it allows you to set a "transparency" of the overlaid image. (so you can still see the rivets etc through from underneath). The rest was done just by "fill" colour (in paintbrush), and the standard font/text ability of the photo/paint programs.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think it was designed at the request of the U.P.RR. They wanted a powerful diesel to replace the big boys. They still have one left in their locomotive collection that runs. Occasionally if they get power short, they'll use it on a revenue freight. I think the problem that the U.P. discovered with them had more to do with versatility than problems with corners. They would probably handle curves much better than a 2-12-4, for instance. The problem was that being two gp35's on a common frame, they discovered that if they had two gp35's on separate frames and one broke, they still had one they could use. If either of the prime movers on the dd40x failed, the locomotive was down until repairs could be completed.