Trestle bridge that changes heights?

DrBasss

Sep 6, 2005
Greetings all-
My brother and I are working on 1890's era mining town and we have a section where we had planned on putting in a rather large trestle bridge. Now this layout is sort of a "fantasy" layout in that we are not trying to recreate any real tracks or cities etc. We haven't done any model railroads since we were kids, and we are now trying to tackle something that we find very fun.

Anyway to the question...the section with the trestle bridge changes heights about 1.5 inches (it's N scale) over a section that is a little more than 2 feet. It is also a curved area. Is this something that is entirely unrealistic? I've seen plenty of curved trestle bridges but I can't find a single example of one that changes elevation. While it is a "fantasy" board, I wouldn't be able to be satisfied with a bridge that deviated that much from reality. Can anyone help here? Keep in mind we are just getting back into this so we have very little knowledge when it comes to trains/bridges and their histories. Thanks for any help that can be provided!

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
I think if you look hard enough, you'll find a prototype for just about anything. Most bridges and trestles were built as straight, level, short-as-possible spans to minimize costs, but not always. I am modeling a similar layout (in HO) and have an inclined, curved trestle. The dimensions you specify, however, result in over a 6% grade, which is quite a bit. It's your railroad though, go fo it.
Doc

DrBasss

Sep 6, 2005
Thanks for the info. My measurements stated weren't exact at all. It should be a 4% grade based on the risers we used as the base.