Trestle advice please

fran1942

Hello, I am constructing a trestle bridge circa 1920-1930.
Can someone please tell me if a wooden trestle with a steel plate girder central section would be feasible for 1920-30 USA ?
Does anyone have any photos of this type of combination steel girder / wooden trestle bridge ?
I found one picture of what I want. See attached. Anyone know of other similar pics ?

Thanks very much for any help.

Attachments

• paint_creek_3.jpg
    paint_creek_3.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 34
N

nachoman

the central span is definitely made of steel, and probably a replacement for an original wooden truss. Great looking bridge to model.

kevin

fran1942

thanks guys. Please tell me would a bridge like this with a steel centre span be feasible for 1920-30 USA ?

Also, were centre spans of this design ever made of wood, or are they always metal ?

Thank you kindly.

From my research, most timber trestle weren't made to clear-span distances like bridges. I've seen lots of pics similar to that above, but don't know if the plate girders are original or replacements. I say go for it. Don't forget to post some pics when you're done.
Doc

jim currie

here is one of the SP main line near holtvill CA was used from the 1920's till line closed in the 70' or 80's so i was told by local:)

Attachments

• sp bridge.jpg
    sp bridge.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 27