Tree Troubles

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
I bought a pack of woodland scenics tree armatures and some of the covering, I think I got clump folliage and Hob-e-tac. I did as the plans said, brused on the hobetac and then the greenage, all I did not do was spray it w/ scenic cement. after a day all the greenery started to fall of of the tree so I sprayed it w/ scenic cement, but that made the grren clumps that were stuck on very good at the beginning fall off:curse:. What am I doing wrong, or not doing. I watched the video at woodland scenics website, and no difference between how I did it.

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
announce1WOW!!!!!! I just wanted tree help on commercial trees and now I cant wait to begin building my own. I have looked at the website quite a bit, BUT HOW DID I MISS THAT THREAD? Well anyway, great work on those trees. I have some bushes in the back yard that will work out perfectly, and the cost is awesome, especially for the results. Thanks a lot!:thumb:

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I've never had the problem that you stated with Woodland Scenics trees. did you let the hobby tac set for a few minutes before applying the foam material? Also, I wash my tree armatures in warm water and detergent, use an old toothbrush to scrub them gently then dry them well before applying adhesive. This removes any mold release and gives a clean surface for the glue.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I have only a few of the WS trees, and did as you describe - Hob-e-tac and clump foliage. Did not do the Scenic Cement step. Over the course of about 3 years, I have lost maybe about 25% of the foliage, but still a reasonably respectable looking tree.

However, I prefer twisted wire trees or trees made from natural materials. Glad the tutorial helped!

Andrew

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
I had the same problem about five layouts ago. I repeated the procedure but used rubber contact cement instead of the Hobbi-tac. I still have those trees and will be putting them on my current layout as the scenery progresses.

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Hey kevin, If you make some trees as per the tutorial, please post some pics so we can see how they turn out.

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
I think I will do some experimenting this weekend with the trees, I also think I am going to look at a camera this weekend so I will soon be able to post pictures.:mrgreen:

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Hobby shop! Woohoo! Keep us posted on how things go.

When I started 2 years ago, before I had a track plan and all that, my wife and I made about 250 trees because I thought I would need A TON of trees. But then my ideas morphed into an industrial type layout, so now I don't need that many trees. At least I think I don't. I have a couple areas that will have trees, but that's it. Right now, the trees are stuck in foam sheets and sitting on top of my bookshelves in my work room. I need to take a pic for you.

At times, making 250 trees was a pain, but in all, it was fun. The best thing is adding the foam, because that is where you see the finished project.

If you need a bunch of these, try to enlist some help, it really makes it go faster.

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Okay, that looks fairly simple. Find some branches from a species in your area that have the overall shape and branch structure of a real birch. If necessary, add more branches using the techniques shown in the tutorial. Add the branches to match photos of birch trees. Then paint the trunks a color to match the birch bark, and put little darker spots on them. Once dry, maybe spray with dullcote or some other sealer (satin or flat). Then do the poly-fiber thing, and choose ground foam colors that match birch. Probably would be good to use a mixture of colors just to get some variations.

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
No problem MST, hope it is beneficial to you. And, if you make some using that method, please post some pics!

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
i just found this thread and have yet another solution to supplement garys.i printed both out as both ways make VERY good looking trees,but i found these to be very easy to build,paint,coat and look FANTASTIC.these make some of the most realistic looking trees that i've seen.
Armorama :: Making Trees with Wire by Jan
there is also the method where you use a certain dead plant like "pepper" something.its in a MRR mag,and its probably on the net too.it has realistic "leaves" already on it!

one more thing to add is that for realistic leaves is to buy noch brand foliage,its actually leaflets and not just ground foam.hope this helps.--josh

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Wow, that tree looks terrific. I like that method too. I've heard of doing that, but figured it would be difficult. Actually looks fairly simple.

If a person needed alot of trees, I am thinking that my method would work for all the background trees, and for the "display" trees at the front, they could be made from the wire.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
Wow, that tree looks terrific. I like that method too. I've heard of doing that, but figured it would be difficult. Actually looks fairly simple.

If a person needed alot of trees, I am thinking that my method would work for all the background trees, and for the "display" trees at the front, they could be made from the wire.

your method is great for more background trees and filling up space.and even farther back could just be polyfiber balls for decidious and for conifers furnace filter material,but with some serious time,nimble fingers and plenty of band-aids,all those wire trees could be a reality sign1.--josh

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Here are some photos of all my trees, still waiting to be placed on the layout.

Attachments

• tree 3.JPG
    tree 3.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 9
  • trees 1.JPG
    trees 1.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 7
  • trees 2.JPG
    trees 2.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 13