Tree gluing problem

acshrpe

Oct 15, 2002
Southern MI
Visit site
I have tried to glue folege on the trees but with no luck. I have tried Hobby-tac, elmers glue and even washing the trees before gluing, but with no luck. Anyone have another suggestion? My leaves are falling before their time!

CarlFidy

Jun 17, 2002
Owasso, OK
Visit site
Change the season of your layout???

Sounds to me like changing season your modelling, to late fall would be the easy solution. Depending on where you are, with in a few weeks you should have plenty of prototypes to look at....:rolleyes: :D ;)

acshrpe

Oct 15, 2002
Southern MI
Visit site
That's just it. I don't want the season to be fall and I don't want the leaves falling before they are suppost to. Any idea how to keep the leaves on the trees, not on the floor as I am putting them on the land, or falling off the trees all over the place. Nothing I have tried so far has kept the leaves where they are to be - on the trees! Help!!!

CarlFidy

Jun 17, 2002
Owasso, OK
Visit site
Wish I could help you with the right adhesive, but my experience is still limited to armchair model railroading(a status to be changed very soon due to new job with better money). Just keep checking back, within a couple days the folks around here will provide you with a solution to your dilema. We'll both be a little wiser....;) :D

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi acshrp!
Welcome to The Gauge!
I'm not sure if this will help, or not, but I posted a thread here in the N/Z forum a couple of weeks ago called N Scale Trees...Cheap Fast & Easy...
Wht type of materials are you using to make your trees?

NICK C

Jul 25, 2002
Worthing, UK
www.geocities.com
Tacky Poly Vinyl Acetate!:p

In my local hobbies and crafts shop i found just the thing to solve your problem!, it's called anita's Tacky Glue and is sold in hobbie and craft shops (mainly UK). I have found that it is best for sticking foiliage to tree armatures and will stick to virtually anything. It dries colourless and flexible.
Details can be found at:-
www.docrafts.co.uk :D :D :D :D

Nick c

:) :) :) :)

NICK C

Jul 25, 2002
Worthing, UK
www.geocities.com
Tacky Poly Vinyl Acetate!

In my local hobbies and crafts shop i found just the thing to solve your problem!, it's called anita's Tacky Glue and is sold in hobbie and craft shops (mainly UK). I have found that it is best for sticking foiliage to tree armatures and will stick to virtually anything. It dries colourless and flexible.
Details can be found at:-
www.docrafts.co.uk

Nick c

:) :) :) :) :) :)

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
If you don't want to go to the UK for "Anita's" Tacky Glue, try "Aileen's" (?) instead. You can get it at artsy/craftsy stores like Michael's. It comes in a brown squeeze bottle.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
acshrpe,
First, welcome to the gauge. The question was asked, what are you using for leaves, so I won't ask it again. I will make an assumption that you are using something like Woodland Scenic's tree kits.(you mentioned Hobby Tack).
A while back I did demo on tree making, at the local library, as part of an ongoing layout construction demo. I was using the Woodland Scenic tree kits, and taught the following: Take the armatures and form them to represent the kind of tree you want.
The "foliage" provided in the kit is rather too "lumpy" to work with, so I recommended that the "foliage" be torn into much smaller pieces.
I sprayed the armature with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive, dumped some of the foliage in a bag, added the sprayed armature, and "shake-and-bake" out comes a tree, well..... after three or four sprays and shakes.
Once the tree looked "full" enough, I sprayed a coat of Testors Dull Coat to insure that all the foliage would stay where it was( there was still some "fallout", but not bad). the tree was then stuck in a sheet of foam, to allow the dull coat to dry.
The trees sat for a week before the next demo, where I planted them on the layout.
I also showed one tree building method which used furnace filter being applied to the armature. once the Super 77 had set, the filter material was trimmed to a pleasing shape, and then was spray painted with Floquil roof brown. Almost immediately, it was sprayed with Testors Glosscoat, and Woodland Scenics "Coarse Turf" was sifted on. this was repeated about three or four times until the leaves were thick enough, and a filal spray of Glosscoat was added, to "fix" the leaves.
The furnace filter technique was also used to make "leafless" trees, which had Woodland Scenics "Snow" sprinkled on instead of coarse turf. Makes a nice "winter" tree.
Hope this helps,
Pete

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Another Tree Gluing Problem

Hey Pete, May I impose on you for some advice?:D

A couple of years ago I got on a "bender" of making Aspen trees and was using that 3M Super 77 Spray to attach paper punches to the tree armature to make leaves.

Wondering if you ever ran into this problem with it......It has never dried or set:eek: To this day its still tacky and I dare not let the trees touch each other or they will stick together.:eek: :D

Any thoughts??? Maybe I got a bad can of the stuff:eek: :confused:

Attachments

• aspen.jpg
    aspen.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 148

Jim de Bree

Jan 21, 2002
Valencia, CA
Visit site
Hobby-tac question

Last night I started making a large number of Woodland Scenics Pine trees, using Hobby-Tac as the adhesive. How do you clean this stuff off of your hands? Is there some sort of solvent? The instructions on the bottle don't have any warnings or clean up suggestions.:confused: :confused: :confused:

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
Re: Hobby-tac question

Originally posted by Jim de Bree
Last night I started making a large number of Woodland Scenics Pine trees, using Hobby-Tac as the adhesive. How do you clean this stuff off of your hands?

Sandpaper? :D :D :D :D
Jim - I made some trees on Tuesday night. Still have some Hobby-Tac on my hands. I have not found anything to remove it.
Oh - I hate making tree's.

Marty

Jim de Bree

Jan 21, 2002
Valencia, CA
Visit site
Thanks Tyson

thanks for the tip. Thank God that I am modelling the western partof the country. If I were modelling the east and had to make a gazillion trees, I'd go nuts. It certainly is not as easy as Woodland Scenics would have you believe. However, the end product does look pretty good.