Tree colour please for REDWOODS

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Has anybody seen the colour of the cut section of a Giant Redwood, is it a light colour or redish? would like to know. Don't have these in the UK.

C

Catt

Been awhile since I've seen cut redwood ,but as I recall it has a definate redish colour to it.

Virginian

Jan 27, 2001
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Visit site
Hi shamus
I assume you're doing Coast Redwood...not much logging really of Giant sequoia of the Sierra Nevada... too brittle....As for Sequoia Sempervirons (Coast Redwood):
The outer sap wood is almost white...a very pale yellowish tan color, and in large old groth trees, only the outer few rings are 'sap wood'... a large tree..say 15 foot diameter...would be at most about 1/2 foot of that total diam., and probably less.
The inner heartwood of old growth is a deep almost maroonish red. I'll send you a few slivers of some old growth heart redwood I have ( I carve Native American flutes from it) ...The color doesn't change much as it dries...it is a bit darker when still 'green' (fresh cut) .
I have your address somewhere...if you haven't moved. I'll try to get something in the mail tomorrow or Monday.
Cheers
VGN :cool:

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Guys, thanks for the info, this is needed to paint the top of these great looking giant Redwood stumps which I have 18 of and I am making a special area just for these.
If any others are interested in buying these, they can be bought from Walt Gillespie who's website is

http://www.aimtrainers.com/fall_creek_rr.htm
These are fantastic castings.
The photo just shows one sitting on the baseboard, it is not buried in yet, in fact this one ain't even going to be here, it is just to show what they are like.

stump.jpg

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Javier & David,
These trees are in fact Z-scale redwoods I am using on my H0 layout, so in fact they are fully grown, and ready to cut;) :rolleyes: :D :D :D

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Shamus - I remember seeing somewhere that decomposed redwood is black and stinks like h*ll. Don't suppose you want to add that bit of realism, though.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Shamus,
I tried to scan a photo in a book I have showing a section of redwood, on a disconect log car. There was a young girl, maybe five years old sitting on the end of the car, and it took a while before you realized she was there, because the "log" was soooo big.
The scanner was giving me fits, and the photo was B&W, so didn't get it posted.
Pete

Virginian

Jan 27, 2001
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Visit site
Hi Y'all

A bit of info. re: Billk's "black rotten stinky Rdwd"...yep...you don't want to live with that smell....but Redwood doesn't rot by itself for a long, long time.... now"sinkers' ... logs that have lain on the bottom of the mill pond for a year or two, that's different... there's no word for the odor!...I worked at a plywood mill years ago-...right next to a big Georgia Pacific Mill and the pond....it took years for the smell to get out of my nose!! ( Been over 25 years-I can still almost gag!) And it does get a greasy slimy black. Now dry Redwood..it will last forever!! And heartwood exposed to weather, will last years and years without paint, or stain....turns pale grey on the surface.
The sap wood, however, will rot fairly quickly. Of course, that's one big reason the old growth is so valuable...Big Trees are. oh, I'd guess about 80% clear heart.
All the lumber I have is salvage..recycled fence posts and the like..I avoid buying "new" lumber if at all possible, esp. Redwood.

shamus....been a whole lot goin on in my life...still plan to send you some of the 'real stuff' soon's I can get to it. I'll pick up some bark next time I'm out t' th' woods!!

Bye y'all
VGN :cool: