Transition Era in NE/ Shelf Layout/Sergent/W/A throttle

papasmurf37

HI FOLKS:
Have not been here for some time! Recent pc crash didn't help things; was off-line many months. Anyway, what's posted above is basically my present plan; drastically simplified, of course. Poised to start 18" x 12 1/2' x 52" elev. shelf layout stage one construction any day now. My concept is a single-track shoestring operation with all old equipment and lots of switching. LOVE the narrow shelf concept, as it forces one to be more inventive in staging each r-o-w scene and saves a LOT of $ on materials[first industry to be coal/oil dealership and plan to detail the heck out of it].
Have seven early diesels and a B&M 2-6-0 Mogul but must thin out motive power roster a bit. Using short cars to give illusion of greater track mileage. Hoping someone here is modeling transition era in the Northeast and maybe also has HO shelf layout. Maybe we could exchange ideas, etc.
Will use Sergent Eng. couplers & Lenz wireless, w/a throttle[except in small yard, where my set 90 will go]. All Caboose Industries sprung ground throws and switchstands are my choice and if I have inaccessable turnout, can use home-made rod/bellcrank control[or slo-mo machine]on it.
Itching to be my own engineer/switchman on my turns[using good old-fashioned CC/WB system]. Have put this whole project off far too long!
Didn't get into structures as that's for another post! TTFN.....Old Tom aka papasmurf in NH

doctorwayne

Your planned layout sounds good to me, and recognizing that less financial expenditure on the size of the layout can result in larger returns in your modelling enjoyment is a good start.:thumb: I also think that the choice of Sergent couplers is a great selection for the type of layout you describe. I hope that you'll keep us posted on your progress.

I also have a B&M Mogul, perhaps from the same run as yours. Mine's been remotored and modified a bit, both to hide its heritage and also to give it a bit of a family appearance with my other locos.

100_5833.jpg

Wayne

jetrock

Indeed, the mogul is nice but the water effects on the bridge piers do get a double-take. Very nice water modeling!

KCS

I've gotta say. Gotta love those Sergent coupler's. I replaced all my equipment from KD's to Sergent's. It's fun just coupling and uncoupling even though I haven't run anything on track yet. Gotta wait till the next show.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Papa! Glad to see you back again. Your plans sound good to me. Looking forward to updates!
Ralph