Transformers models

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Arjun, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arjun

Arjun Member

After searching now, I found no Transformers models in the gallery. I'm thinking of making a model of Optimus Prime, which actually transforms. The model I have in mind, however, is a series of separable boxes and not a monolithic model with everything attached, like all the plastic toys and the animated Optimus Prime. Has anyone tried it? Do you have any hints?
  2. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Check out what this guy has done.
    Optimus Prime
    Maybe some ideas can be gleaned.
  3. Bad_Scorpion

Bad_Scorpion Member

Be prepared for a lot of work with the design. You may end up wanting to make multiple parts for various sections to allow for the transformed versions. Just some advise from someone struggling with a similar complex transformable model. I'm still fighting with my Alpha and Beta Macross unit. Really complex for paper like prime but, looking fairly good on the pc screen and not on paper. No pun intended. But not when being built to assmble. and transform.
  4. xyberz

xyberz Member

Yeah, I too am trying to work out the kinks to make a flawless transforming robot in paper. The dynamics of paper make it somewhat more difficult than with plastic or metal models.

Although it will take a bit of time to figure everything out properly and also building something really reliable will make the end result well worth the effort.
  5. Bad_Scorpion

Bad_Scorpion Member

I'm even lokking at blowing it up in size and increasing the detail to compensate. Then make the parts more like the plastic versions. But some will be difficult to make so still working on a few ways to try it. May even have to resort to other media being included in the build. Like maybe using tooth picks to use as hinge parts small enough to work. And, plastic straws for the hubs to sit on the toothpick axles for the hinges to be strong enough to move and use multiple times. Like I said working with it. I have three different people trying to work with it and we are all kinda stumped otherwise.
  6. xyberz

xyberz Member

Honestly I think that's the way to go. You'll have to use other non-paper materials to help achieve the overall project. But it should be easy to use other simple and cheap household items to help the build.
  7. bugman72

bugman72 Member

This might be a bit off-topic, but I thought I would share some YouTube links that I read about on another forum. The more footage I see of this movie, the more excited I become!

You'll have to excuse the '80s hair-metal rendition of the Transformers theme on this first one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjcckyAhhBU

I'm not as sure about this one, since it's been established that Bumblebee will be a new Camaro and not the traditional Beetle. If this isn't from the movie, I'd be curious to find out where it came from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRpQmmMjDP0

Here's a small clip of Bumblebee coming into scene...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-hh8MCd6U0&mode=related&search=
  8. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

The complexity of the models is also going to be determined by which toy version you want to copy. I've also been working on a Prime model for a while and I'm stuck on the hips right now. I've got two toys: the expensive ultimate Optimus, where his legs fold down, rotate 180 degrees, and the bumper ends up in his chest, while the front wheels disappear. The other toy just has the legs pivot down at the front wheels, and everything stays in the open. I've been leaning toward that one. Then I have to figure his head out.
    Why am I designing another optimus model? I'm impatient, I want it now, and I like lots of details, particularly spinning wheels.
  9. xavs

xavs Member

10. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

I dont know if you saw my forum in the desgners corner but I developed a transformable version of Prime. Its just a design right now--- my count has it at least 37 moveable hinges(if wheels are made to roll), and several other flaps and sliding parts needed. it is similar to the 20th ann. toy in style but transforms different. I havent developed it to paper yet because the sheer number of moving paper joints is very high. Ill image out some pics of it and post them soon.
    if there is enough response I'll go ahead and crack the thing out for you all.
  11. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

I'd love to see the pictures. I'm also working on an Optimus model that will transform. I've got his chest and arms done right now, and starting on the legs. This one is a mix of several toys. Not as complex as the 20th anniversary version, but with some of it's features (the hips rotate so the wheels are on the back of his legs.
  12. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

Attached Files:

13. xavs

xavs Member

lazzerbeak

i made it some time ago on paint, it's made hako like based on the paperformes model, but a litle biger i never ended the instructions.

Attached Files:

• lc.gif
      lc.gif
      File size:
      9.7 KB
      Views:
    • l3.jpg
      l3.jpg
      File size:
      12.5 KB
      Views:
  14. xavs

xavs Member

Sorry someone can tell me how to show the pic's:oops:
  15. maximiliano

maximiliano Member

hi man. my name is maximiliano. I wonder if you can share with me you macross models, the alpha and the beta to. I hope you can do it. regards.
  16. afcgooners

afcgooners New Member

HI. I'm new to these forums but I have some pics of Optimus Prime I made. I'll try to post them but it probably wont work! anyway hope they help. To be honest though the way it transforms means the model gets a bit worn after a while.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Wow! :cool:
    That's awesome! A genuine transformer!
    Very nice job on that one! Great build!

Russell
  18. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

This isn't a Macross thread.... it's a Transformers thread.
  19. maximiliano

maximiliano Member

Sorry SteveO, the mesage was for bad scorpion, is the only post were I´ve seen the macross theme named. If you could help me to find any of these models I would appreciate. Thanks and apologies.
  20. afcgooners

afcgooners New Member

Jetfire. I didn't have instructions but it came out ok. It's a bit wobbly on its feet though!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.