Transfer Dock for my dual gauge track

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
I need a platform so goods and materials can be transferred between regular and narrow gauge trains. Regular gauge is N scale and narrow gauge is Nn3
I started by making the roof trusses and they are GASP!!! made of wood, not cardboard. I got a new Ryobi bandsaw that was on sale at HD. It does a fantastic job of cutting wood in sizes I need. The trusses are made out of 9inch by 12 inch posts, 6 inch by 9 inch support and 2 inch by 10 inch cross beams. The 2 inch thick pine is so thin light shines through it just like paper. This saw will come in handy for many projects.

Attachments

• cd.jpg
    cd.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 511

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
No need for transfer...! We had a guy talking about German standard and narrow gauge railways at our local club last month. The Germans had come up with little narrow gauge flat-car type wagons that took the entire standard gauge car right on top. Things looked like they were going to tip over...!

Andrew

RailRon

Andrew, do you mean something like that? These little disonnected cars carry one Standarg gauge axle each. In German they are called 'Rollbock'. Now this would be a challenge for a scratchbuilder in N/Nn3! :eek:
The second pic shows a train, two freight cars behind a NG railrcar - really a wobbly affair when the track isn't first class.

However - I prefer Robin's approach with a transfer shed. There are much more operational possibilities, needing different transfer installations: For LCL freight, for cattle, for coal, for liquids (oil etc.), for lumber... Robin - I think you'll have some more projects to do in the next time!

And we'll be glad to look over your shoulders... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Ron

Attachments

• rollbock1.jpg
    rollbock1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 436
  • rollbock2.jpg
    rollbock2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 468

Matthyro

The trusses in place ready for the rest of the rafters. The platform is cut to fit the space available.

Attachments

• tt5.jpg
    tt5.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 376

sams

looking nice mattyro!
can't wait to see more progress pics.

ron,
thats a cool "gizmo".
now you've got me thinking...
how to model that in N/Nn3 ;)
thx for the pics :)

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Hoooo Haahhh that looks good! but be careful, Robin, you start with the scale lumber, and next it's scale nails, and LPBs with hammers, and....Oh! the humanity!!!! :D :D
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

spitfire

Great Robin!! If you do with wood what you've done with cardboard, we're in for a real treat! :thumb:

Val

Matthyro

Thanks folks. I will only use wood where I need strength. Cardboard will still be my main material. I wish my lumber was good enough to sell Tyson but don't want to get into that rat race like I did with a local craft store where orders came in faster than I could produce and ended up with sawdust city.
Next step here was to add stringers.

Attachments

• cd2.jpg
    cd2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 327

Matthyro

I want the roof to protect the center of the platform so that's why it doesn't match Tyson. The platform starts narrow and the edge of the roof is on the same line as the platform. The platform gets wider as you move along it and I could have followed the edge but didn't this time. Just to be different I guess.

Nice work. Inspired by your bandsaw work, I looked across the room at my small bandsaw for stained glass & wondered if there is a wood blade that fits it. Happy to find one offered by the manufacturer. This will certainly help in my work.

Wayne

Matthyro

Well it has been a while and finally the roofers showed up to do the shingling. Each shingle is 10 X 10 inches in N scale. The finshed look is as if this roof has been there for years and has devloped some sways as it aged.

Attachments

• cd3.jpg
    cd3.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 191