Trains at Work

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by rockislandmike, Dec 20, 2003.

1. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

As I mentioned to some of you previously, I ended up being involved in a competition at work for Christmas decorations. Unlike others, however, I of course went with a “trains in the snow” theme. Hey, anytime I can have a train looping around my cubicle, it’s a good thing – right ???

Anyways, I finally got some pictures done today. Here they are . . . . .

This pictures shows most of the loop around my cubicle, and the extension to the end of the row. My coworker at the top right chipped in with a ceramic train station, and a Christmas village down the way (invisible in the pic). The loco is P2K’s much-maligned GP38-2; all of the buildings are from my regular layout, save Mariner Neptune to the right (one of my company’s real clients, in Winnipeg).

[​IMG]

At the other end, a group of Lilydale (the company I work for) containers awaits departure. These are freelance, as Lilydale does not have any of its own containers (heck, even if we did, they’d be reefers). At any rate, I made a total of 16 containers in four paint schemes, and three lengths – 40’, 40’, and 53’.

[​IMG]

I also made my own decals for these three Lilydale trailers (53’ reefers). These are based on prototypes. There are four different graphics on our trailers; I recreated three of ‘em, thanks to some cd’s that the company who did our original graphics sent me.

[​IMG]

Although the contrast isn’t very good in this pic, this is a closeup of the left side of the town setup, complete with skaters, a grader and snowplow. The bar features one of those kewl Miniatronic moving lights, and is named after my favorite band.

[​IMG]

Here’s another shot of the town, with the train moving clockwise on the loop. Most days I kept a train moving around for most of the day, stopping only when our CFO popped by to ask me a question (it was easier to hear him when the train was stopped).

[​IMG]

Finally, here’s the town from the other side; you can just my computer monitor (likely with a train background). The trees, which I put on each corner of the loop, added a lot to the feel of the setup.

[​IMG]
  2. pttom

pttom Member

That look great, Rockislandmike
  3. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Fabulous Mike!:thumb:

Any good jobs going there where I too can get a cubicle? :D :D

I bet other contestants efforts paled into insignificance compared with that .... They don't expect you to disassemble it after Christmas do they?? :eek: :eek:

Errol
  4. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  5. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Hey that's great!!!!! You've got to have the winning cubicle! Way to take the hobby to work!
    Ralph
  6. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Very cool Mike! (pun intended! :D :cool: :D )
    I'd be doing so much "railfanning", I wouldn't get any work done!
    :cool: :thumb: :thumb: :cool:
  7. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

Fantastic! That's an idea that's been rolling around in my head for some time, now. I'm glad to see someone has actually done it!

Unfortunately, our boss has a rule where no decorations are supposed to be over the top of the cubicle walls. I don't know if that would exactly count, though.
  8. shamus

shamus Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb: :wave:
    Looks great
    Shamus
    [​IMG]
  9. CN1

CN1 Active Member

Well done:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  10. interurban

interurban Active Member

Well done Mike ,, do you thing they will let you do it again next year:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    I bet they all had a go running the train:p
  11. alkcnw

alkcnw Member

Great job Mike!! Did you get any work done with all the trains around you?:cool:
  12. GNRail

GNRail Member

Our office is looking at getting all new Dilbert furnature. Maybe I can convice my manager to go with the "continous tracked delivery system" option;)

Garry
  13. Peirce

Peirce Member

I like that CTDS ("continous tracked delivery system" ) idea. It delivers even when the computers or network is down.

Mike - great work. What was the response of your co-workers?
  14. Eddie Landreth

Eddie Landreth Member

I'm speechless.....as a fellow inmate of the cubicle cell block, I'm green with envy! :thumb: :wave: