Train World

Train World - Is this Internet Hobby Shop Reliable ?

• Yes , I highly Recommend them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Not in this lifetime

• Sometimes with explanation

• Be afraid..... Be Very Very Afraid !!!!

• To be honest, I never dealt with them....

• I refuse to send money to some place I don't know

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
Hello all.. I have been looking at the MRR advertiser Train World located in Long island NY and found that they had a lot of great prices on some items of interest to me. Before I placed my order, I decided to goto my LHS to see if I could get a heads up on this HS before i placed an order.. My LHS said that the items in question that I was looking to purchase were impossible to be offered for the price quoted, or once they got my order with my money, the items wouldn't be in stock and the communication would be deplorable... My LHS could not touch the items in question, nor would he to keep me as a customer as well, nor should I expect him to.. He needs to Keep the lights on at his place and feed his family.
MY LHS also suggested that perhaps Train World was going out of business and liquidating their stock, or some underhanded shady deals were underway with Walthers..
So the reason for this post is to get some feedback before I sink more money into this great hobby.. As you may have read in one of my previous posts, I went to the Strasburg train shop in PA, spent $600, and the counter person and help there was non- existent.. I realize that I will get zero Customer / merchant relations with a fone order or INTERNET sale, But I would like to know if My money and my order will be in safe hands.

I would hope that MRR magazine would not have an advertiser that is shady.

Please help me with this decision.. I happen to have made a few good financial decisions and have a few dollars to keep my hobby running.

Is My LHS trying to keep my business? I'd love to keep him in the running ( I will ), but I'd love to have a back up with different choices.

Thanx and God Bless..

sidetracked

Dec 4, 2006
I live 90 miles one way from the nearest hobby shop so I order a lot of stuff thru the mail. Trainworld is the only place i will order from, If they dont have it in stock they will tell you (I always call them instead of using the online ordering), the price you see is the price you pay and if you order it early it will go out that day. I can order on a Monday morning and have it at my house in Okla. on thursday. Hope this helps.,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,, st

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I've placed two orders with Trainworld. The service was prompt. On one order, the package was damaged in shipment. I contacted Trainworld and they in turn, contacted UPS who was the shipper. Trainworld had the damaged portion of my order back to me in about ten days.

Kanawha

Apr 1, 2007
Glendale, AZ
Trainworld is excellent to work with and there prices are some of the best around. I've never had a problem with them. I did get a factory-flawed loco through them. However they took it back no questions asked and sent me a good one. I've bought at least a dozen locomotives and many passenger cars through them. Highly recommended.

But yeah, they do need to update their site. lol However if you call to ask a question they're very helpful.

Secret Weapon

Jan 2, 2004
E-L Country,NJ
Visit site
Hey,
If your in Woodbridge, why not ake the 30 min. ride to Model Train Shop in Dunellen? Great store & prices.F&M in Denville & Kenvil Hobby are also great. On my days off from work,I'd hit all 3,& I live in Paramus.
I've bought from Trainworld with no problems,getting back on topic. I use Feather River,BLW,HST(Clifton),ECMR,MB Klein & Wig-Wag when using the net.

MopacNut

Jan 13, 2006
I always check Trainworld when I'm going to make a purchase. They are a little gruff on the phone, but it's a N.Y. thing- they're great to deal with, their stuff is always the same thing other places are selling and their prices are outstanding. They're making good money, so it seems your LHS just isn't interested in being competitive. To be honest, TW buys huge volumes, and they sell stuff at bargain prices- but they are profitable.

I have at least 40 locos that I've bought from Trainworld and only one has disappointed me- but it was a manufacturer goof. Everyone else that got that loco at the same time had the same experience.

slekjr

Feb 13, 2007
to Ohio
www.kiskijunction.com
I too have had great service and great prices from Trainworld.
All the guys that volunteer here also buy from trainworld and never have had a problem.
I would have a problem with the way the LHS you talked to badmouthed them. Of course I would never ask one store about another store and expect to get anything but a bad responce. Years ago I bought lots of stuff from Hobbies for Men and SMC. I always used COD and never had a problem whereas a lot of people with checks and CCs did.
Most LHS's do have higher overhead and can't buy in volumn to get good prices.
Just today I got an E-mail from factorydirect offering a great buy on and RSD-15 only $100 more than the Trainworld price. (what is their excuse for the high price, They sold em to Trainworld)
I know most of us work darned hard for our money, and I am always willing to pay LHS more, within reason. I won't pay $7.95 for a section of Atlas flex track because he opened a big maul store and now can't pay the rent.
Sorry I seem to be ranting
Charlie

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Purchased some Aristo stuff from 'em probably ten years ago now without a problem. Their sales associates have the typical New York personality, but otherwise it was a painless experience.

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
Geeesh - Thanks for the overwhelming great responses !!!! I shall take an interest and make purchases from TrainWorld.... I still like my LHS,but if I can save a buck then why not..My LHS is about 5 miles from my current job. I truly would like to spend ALL my train dollars there, but a buck is a buck.. I'm eyeing up a Broadway limited GG1...
Thanx again to all that participated to date.. Hopefully I will hear from the rest of the Gauge. Many Thanx.

pooka2hot4u

May 30, 2006
well i have not ordered from them online or over the phone cuz i never needed to (i live like a 30min skateboard ride away from their shop in Brooklyn NYC) which is their second shop, but not as big as the Long Island one, or so they tell me. their low prices are true as far as i can tell, i get atlas turnouts for like $10 while at any other online shop i see them for 14. got a n scale bachmann consolidation for 85 dollars. service is very good, they will answer all of your questions. sometimes they wont have some things like micro trains couplers or any atlas code 55 track, but as i said, apparently the brooklyn shop is not as big, and the long island shop has a much bigger N scale stock.

Kanawha

Apr 1, 2007
Glendale, AZ
The reason Trainworld can offer such expensive stuff at such a great price is because they're a wholesale store. They buy A LOT of whatever it is so they get them cheap. And they sell them at a reasonable price.