Train storage...

shaygetz

Since most of my real running is done at the club, I've had to come up with a variety of carrying cases for my trains, none of which has any sense of order. This is my latest design, one that I am pleased with. it can carry 10 85' passenger cars and 5 40'-60' freight cars or 20 to 25 freight cars alone in each tray. Each tray nests in the others. Right now I'm looking for a good lining material and am open for suggestions.

Attachments

• clamp.jpg
    clamp.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 13

shaygetz

The finished product. While at 33"L x11 1/2"W x3 1/2"D they are bulky when carried in fours, they are just right for carrying a full train and a small local in two trays on a run night. Cars and locos stand rather than lay on their sides as in my past efforts, as this has proven more space effective.

Needless to say, all this carpentry has got me itching for some benchwork, hopefully underway this winter. ;) :thumb:

Attachments

• clamp3.jpg
    clamp3.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 13

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Bob,

Looks nice! I use drawer organizers from the dollar store stackd in a milk crate. I'll get some pictures some time... :rolleyes:

To answer your question though - I lined them with underlay used with laminate flooring - very thin closed cell foam. Can be held in place with a little white glue if necessary. Cheap and easy to find even at "non-flooring" stores (i.e. Home Depot in your area probably has a version).

Andrew

Pooh Bah
You have to watch what you put your rolling stock on. The foam that is used in brass locomotive boxes can react with the paint (I've seen it); that's why the locos are wrapped in plastic sheet.
I've heard that theat non-skid carpet underlay can also react with plastic.
I store a lot of stuff in old computer board boxes -- I really like the ones with the egg-crate surface.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Yes, the soft squishy foam underlay that looks like a grid does degrade over time and can stick to a variety of surfaces causing damage. The underlay from the laminate flooring is not the same stuff. It is a very thin closed cell foam in a continuous piece. So far I have not had any problems. The thin plastic is a good idea though - it also helps to lift the rolling stock out of the slot.

Andrew