Train shops in Columbus Ohio

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I absolutely believe you should visit two listed in the phone book and located within three minutes of each other. I hope I'm remembering the names right...the first is Hobbylobby in the Graceland shopping center...great bunch of guys, very good N and HO selection, limited O gauge. The second is The Train Station located on Indianaola if I remember right. Very good selection of HO, some N, lots of O. Both places I always visit when I'm in town.

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
I'm from Columbus, and Herc has it right - though it's Hobbyland in Graceland. Both worth visiting. Where are you visiting from?

Train Station is here:
4430 Indianola Ave
Columbus, OH 43214

(614) 262-9056
trainstationohio.com
http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&lr=&q=train+station&near=Columbus,+OH&cid=0,0,10103963320789909262&ll=40.055215,-83.000381&spn=0,.02&sa=X&oi=local&ct=image

Hobbyland is here:
206 Graceland Blvd
Columbus, OH 43214

(614) 888-7500
hobbylandstores.com
http://www.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&q=206+Graceland+Blvd&near=Columbus,+OH&sll=40.067037,-82.998962&sspn=0.28849,0.556183&ie=UTF8&cid=40065966,-83024538,876595106193743061&li=lmd&z=14&t=m

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Isn't there another one near Train Station on Indianola? I seem to remember there being two shops over there the last time I visited Cooke Road.

I also remember there being multiple Hobbyland stores around the metro area, too. Years ago I went to one over on Sawmill road. They just down to one now?

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I remember there was another one just down the street - sort of an antique or consignment shop - but it was closed/moved/gone the last time I was in Columbus.

Starman

Sep 21, 2006
If you feel like driving and depending how long you are going to be in columbus there is a hobby lobby in heath ohio and also a new one in zanesville ohio that just open.

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
There is also new shop in the 4500 block of N. High st. called Robbies Hobbies. I met this guy at a small train show - he said much of the Blue Caboose's (the one that closed) inventory is being moved there. That puts three hobby stores with at least some train bent within 5 minutes of each other!

Starman

Sep 21, 2006
Hey fluesheet,i am going to be in columbus on friday where is the hobby shops located on that side of town.I live in coshocton just east of zanesville but my daugther lives on sawmill rd so how close will it be to there.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Starman said:
Hey fluesheet,i am going to be in columbus on friday where is the hobby shops located on that side of town.I live in coshocton just east of zanesville but my daugther lives on sawmill rd so how close will it be to there.

There is a Hobbyland on Sawmill road as well..

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
brakie said:
The Blue Caboose is located South of The Train Station on Indianola Ave on the same side of the street..
But don't go there, because it's empty! :D The Blue Caboose closed sometime in the recent past, though much of his inventory has moved to Robbies Hobbys as noted above (or so I was told...)

starman said:
Eh, close is all relative :) I would call it close-ish, but realistically it's probably about a 20 - 25 minute drive from the Train Station (for example) to the Sawmill Rd / 270 area, depending on traffic and where on Sawmill your daughter lives. Hit one of the links to maps.google on my earlier post - Sawmill is north and west from there.

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
Ahh, in that case, from her house:
Get on 270 headed east to I-71
Go south on 71, exit on the Morse / Sinclair exit.

For the Train Station:
Turn right (west) on Morse road, get in the left most lane and turn left at the first light - this is Indianola (you'll cross under two railroad bridges).
Go down 1/2 mile or so. There are a couple of small shopping centers on the left. The Train Station has a big yello sign. If you get to Cooke road, turn around and go back. :)

For Hobbyland:
Turn right (west) onto Morse road)
Head west until it dead ends into High st.
Turn right onto High St.
You'll see Graceland mall on your left after a short distance. Turn into the mall - Hobbyland is on the far right side of the parking lot, about 3/4 way to the back of the complex. Take a look at the links above (use the "Hybrid" view) to get a feel for the details.