Train Room Excitement

Hi Folks!! I'm a little giddy today. (As some of you know, I'm building a somewhat freelance version of the NYCs line from Buffalo to Batavia, NY in or about 1950.)
Today the main line was completed. I now have continuous run from lower level to upper level and back again at various speeds with zero derailments. (crossing fingers........) Have run trains of varying lengths and speeds all day with success and am optimistic about the future! Gary Pfeil is the chief reason this layout looks and performs this well so far. It was his input from early on that saw what I was trying to do and thru ink and paper, transformed that into reality. I'm not that much of a carpenter, and without a "real" wood working area, I was still able to come up with benchwork that is sturdy and sound if not pretty!
I still have a ton of stuff to do though and am eager to get back at it. I need to hit the lumber yard for enough masonite for a double sided back drop and fascia. Got to lay track on an upper level passing siding. Got an entire freight yard to put in place and wire for cab control (Yes I still use old fashioned Atlas components!!! Let me get a real MRR up and running and me and the wallet will THINK about DCC :D )
Engine facilities and a round house will follow...a brewery to build...dairy barn...structure lighting.........on........and.......on.........and.......................ON!!:D :) :cool: ;)

Happy RRing to all!!
Matt--Hershey, Pa.

jon-monon

Rock on Matt! Like others said, pics of all phases are encouraging and informative to others. If you don't have a digital camera or scanner, you can mail some to me and I'll scan them in for you. Just want to know where you found a wife named wallet? :D :D :D

spitfire

Great news Matt! I can imagine how excited you are. Gary is a whiz a track planning, and if you've had his help, no wonder you're happy!
Have fun at the lumber yard!

cheers
:D Val

Hi again folks! Thanks for all the kind words and cheering on! :D Folks; I still don't have a digital camera and I've been searching hi and lo for my 35 mm. It's here somewhere in this house!!:mad: When I find it, I'll shoot a rolll!!! Jon-I have a scanner so your suggestion won't be necessary but I do thank you for it:) .

This morning was spent cleaning wheel sets and rails. Then my Hudson decided to be cantankerous and I had to clean that and talk nice to it and all of a sudden it decided to take off down the main line at about 300 scale mph...Once I got it reigned in and put to bed, it calmed down. I guess it's allowed to be cantankerous since it is 36 years old!

I'll use some of my drawing "skills" this week and post a track-plan. Once I find the camera and get film developed I'll try to use my also limited computer "skills" to post some pics.

Have a great day folks! I'm off to the J.O.B. today so I'll talk to ya later!!:D

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Matt, now your having fun, nice to run trains.
Shamus
wink.gif

Pooh Bah
Matt:
These are a bit out of your area (about 20 miles) and out of your era (9 years?) but they're part of the only half dozen NYC photos that I have.

Attachments

• chippawa-01.jpg
    chippawa-01.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 210

Pooh Bah
the end

Now that you can run, there won't be any more progress for about six months.

Attachments

• chippawa-02.jpg
    chippawa-02.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 209
Hey y'alll!

Spitfire: You're correct about our Mr. Pfeil: damn, ain't he good??

Gary: I can hear you blushing!!:eek: Now go over to the "Face behind the name" thread and post a pic of yourself so we can all see what a real track planner looks like!;)

Dave: Thanks for the photos. I'll add them to my stock pile. But I can't just watch my trains run from level to level and around with out switching action, so I must get MORE DONE!

Neighbor Slussers! Nice to hear from you... Send me a PM & I'll try to see if we can hook up. Or stop by the restaurant some evening. I probably employ some of your students so I'll try to keep them off you!:eek: :D :rolleyes: ;)

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

dmb3006

Wow a NYC fan in PA. Glad to hear you are up and running.We are working in the same era.I'm getting engines and equipment together looking forward to the sale of our home and relocation to a new basement.!st floor laundry should give me the whole area for trains and a gun/reloading room.I like yards,engine terminals,passenger trains & express mail trains.My main line will run Syracuse east to Canastota NY.:cool: :D Heck if the basement is big enough we will run all the way to St. Johns Park in New York City:cool:

Hi Dave: Good luck with your move... let us all know how things progress. Glad to see another NYC fan on the boards. We may be overtaking the Rock Island majority here:D :eek: :D ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
(Good day, Mike!)

Matt--Hershey, Pa.