Train Park Scene

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Awhile back we did a challenge that everyone could enter. I planned on doing a Train Park Scene but due to getting busy with things I couldn't get the project up off the ground. Well after months of not getting around to it I have finally been able to. Over the past couple of months I have been workin gon it and progress is slow but here is what I have done so far:

View From Above
trainparka.jpg

This view shows you the steam engine and the shanty in the Park
trainparkb.jpg

The Station & The Platform next to the Steam Engine.
trainparkd.jpg

View of the Brakemen's cab on top of the tender. The brakmens cab has been removed.
trainparke.jpg

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
This big section of grass is where the people can get up close to the tracks to take photo's.
TrainParkf.JPG

This view show where the buffers will be so the steamer doesn't roll off the tracks.
TrainParkg.JPG

I put some more grass around the area to finish it off. Now it's time to let it dry.

The bench will be moved from it's current place. It will be sitting in the grass soon.
TrainParkh.JPG

Overall View.
TrainParki.JPG

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
This month I was talking to Todd ( Tileguy ) and he suggested that I put a shed over the locomotive to protect it from mother nature. The LC&A Hopper is just for show.:D Here are a few shots of the area.

Here are the poles for the shed that will cover the locomotive.

Side View
TrainParkk.JPG

View From Above
TrainParkj.JPG

The workers have been very busy. These 3 photo's show that they have extended 4 poles up.
TrainParkl.JPG

TrainParkm.JPG

TrainParkn.JPG

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
These 2 photo's show the beam that was placed atop 2 of the poles in prepairing it for the roof beams. The hopper car is temporary. That's all for now.
TrainParko.JPG

TrainParkp.JPG

nkp174

Cool! If you'd like to see some examples of such sheds...the NKP 779 in Lima, OH is in one...so are some of the engines at St. Louis, and the non-"lost" engines in Roanoke, VA (NKP 763, N&W 611, N&W 1218, the N&W 2-8-0, and the only surviving Virginian locomotive). You can find them on steamlocomotives.info.

Commonly engines like this have steps to allow visitors to get up into the cab...they are typically wooden steps along the side of the engine or tender with a small landing next to the cab.

Keep up the good work!

nkp174

I don't know where Portage, PA, but if you're near Erie...take a trip to Conneaut, OH sometime. There's a museum in town their with NKP 755 (a 2-8-4), the first standard gauge 3 bay hopper ever built, and a caboose or something. Inside the museum...they have a model railroad with a locomotive park just like what you're building. You can then stop by the Greenville, PA 0-10-2 on your way home.

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
nkp174 said:
I don't know where Portage, PA, but if you're near Erie...take a trip to Conneaut, OH sometime. There's a museum in town their with NKP 755 (a 2-8-4), the first standard gauge 3 bay hopper ever built, and a caboose or something. Inside the museum...they have a model railroad with a locomotive park just like what you're building. You can then stop by the Greenville, PA 0-10-2 on your way home.

Oh portage is about 3-4 hours southeast of erie. I just might have to take a trip out there and check it out someday. Thanks for the info.:wave:

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Little Update. The WM Tender has been moved into position. This weekend the gang painted it black and next year it will get it's letters and stripes. Below is a view of the tender right after the RF-16 pulled away.
TrainParkq.JPG

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Today the steam locomotive is going into the paint shop to have it's cab painted black. I will take photo's as I progress with this.:D