Train Movies of note

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
I just saw "How The West Was Won". Ok ok, so it's a bit of Hollywood fluff with lots of stars doing cameos. BUT! it has some excellent train scenes in it as well. One part has the building of the Central Pacific that is not bad at all from a rail fans point of view. Real cool trains. Then it gets real good just at the end of the film. Eli Wallach trys to steal a gold shipment from a loging train and George Peppard trys to stop him. There is a gun fight on a flat car that has a Donky Engin and a Traction Engin chained down. Just ahead of that car is another flat loaded with logs. Well the chain holding the logs snaps and they just about squish young George. Then the log car comes uncoupled from the rest of the train and the 2 flats and a caboose roll back down the grade. The train stops and gives chase and catches the runaways. Eli is shooting and hiding behind the donky engin. Someone shoots out the ropes holding the donky down and the donky dose a header into a gultch. The traction engin falls off too and gets hooked up on one of the loose chains and gets dragged down the tracks. The last chain on the logs lets go and the logs fall off while going over a tressal bridge. The log car gets the whole front of the car ripped out and the cars jump the track and careen into a gorge, and the rest of the train derails and jack-knifes just about squishing young George who manages to shoot Eli at the last minute. I loved the scenes dragging the traction engin down the tracks! So cool! and the donky engin falling off was neat as well. If you get a chance to see this flick, do so for the trains. There are also some nice sternwheelers earlier on in the film.

So this seems to be a new idea. If you have seen a good train film please add to this thread with a description of your favorite scenes. ;)

Attachments

• 51m.jpg
    51m.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 294
Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
More train movies

well, heres a few that very heavily involve trains:

"It Happened One Night" spends about 1/3 of the movie on a new york to chicago train

"Murder on the Orient Express" naturally

"The Great Train Robbery" is another natural

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Runaway Train w/Jon Voight & Eric Roberts

The Train w/Burt Lancaster

King Of The North w/Lee Marvin & Ernest Borgenine

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
breakheart pass a lot of rail action in mountains.
also forgot old favorite the denver and rio grande where they do wreck two steamers in a cornfield meet.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
My Choices is
Emperor of The North-Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgenine.

Kansas Pacific.

Union Pacific . A Cecil B. Demills classic.

and

Run Away Train..Makes no real sense why that can't stop the locomotives with the emergency fuel cut off or just shutting the diesels down but still a good movie..

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Hokie dokie, how about Tough Guys with Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas. Favorite scene was when they drove the train off the tracks into Mexico and proceded to teach the Mexican police the rules of fighting.....

Don

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
"Silver Streak" with Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder, an F unit crashing thru Grand Central Station was a scene not soon forgotten and "Two Mules for Sister Sara", Clint Eastwood and Shirley McClane send an ammunition train into a ravine by way of a very tall timber trestle.

wortchillergoal

Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
I can't remember the title. A sick gent, has gotten a human made germ from lab, gets on train. Government officals tracking him, stop train and seal up windows berfore sending it on its way again. Person on board figures out train is heading for unsafe bridge and trys to get to loco cab past guards that came on at seal up stop. Train ends up crashing into river off bad bridge and contaminated bodies start floating down stream at end pf film.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I always liked that Red steamer on Dr. Zhivago. There was a similar menacing loco in Goldeneye, the newer Bond flick. For old time trains I recall a Disney movie about Union soldiers stealing a Confederate locomotive. Runaway train was good for lots of cab shots.
Ralph

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Yes it is hard to beat "Emporer of the North Poll" and "Runaway Train" is a good action flick too. All the films you guys have posted are goodys.

Cecil B. DeMille loved a spectical and he created one in a movie called "The Greatest show On Earth". A movie about the circus, and I love the circus, but one of the most exciting scenes is when the circus train has a head on with a frieght train. And from what I heard, they used real trains.

I hear "The General" with Buster Keaton is a god film for train action, but I have yet to see that one.

TrainClown

hawkeye2

Dec 21, 2002
Winchester, VA
Visit site
"The General" staring buster Keaton and the original (yes, the original) General. Great railroad shots and also one of the funniest movies ever made. The Disney movie "The Great Locomotive Chase" staring Fess Parker is also based on the same incident in the Civil War, the Andrews raide.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
One my favs?

"Caught on a Train" with Dame Peggy Ashcroft and Michael Kitchen.

If you've ever travelled the trains of Europe as a tourist, this one is essential viewing. It's about a journey on Oostende - Vienna Express. :D :cool:

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Under Siege 2- Steven Segal
Lots of action. Cool fights in tight double deck Superliner cars.
Wicked big expolsion at end. Some it is hokey, but still cool.

Personally... Siler Streak is my favorite. Goofy acting, and looking
guy gets NICE looking lady. ;) :D
Can't beat that!
Hmmmm... OK the getting tossed off the train is a bummer. BUT...
The help healing after... :eek: :rolleyes:

The Railway Children has some very nice scenes of British RR in the pre-auto era. It takes place around a small country station. A real nice story about some children and the impact they had on the folks around them. Masterpiece Theater is the latest version. Nobody does movies like the Brits.

I liked "end of the line" with Wilford Brimley (sp?) it is a movie about a shortline that is being shut down so a couple of guys steal a locomotive and travel to the company headquarters to talk to the owner.

"Switchback" has some good train scenes at the end, and the fight on the flanger is pretty cool.

"Under siege 2" and "Runaway Train" were also pretty good.

I havent seen many of the old movies, i need to check some of them out someday.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Back To The Future:part Three("Just doing a little model railroading.", "Is this a train robbery?.......No...Its a science experiment.")
Runaway Train
Tough Guys
Silver Streak
Von Ryans Express
Emperor Of The North