Train kills Toronto pedestrian

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
I read this on the Toronto Star's website, but the details are very scanty.

The man, 56, was struck by a train Monday night on the CPR tracks near Spadina and Dupont.

Police say that man was on the CP tracks around 9:37 p.m. when he was hit by a westbound train.

The man was pronounced dead when emergency personnel arrived.

The victim's identity is being withheld pending notification of next-of-kin.

If I hear anything more I will let you all know.

Val

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Once in a while in TRAINS magazine you'll read an account by an engineer whose loco struck some one. The crew always feels awful as you'd imagine. I'm not sure what more can be said to get people to be more careful around the tracks. Sad for everyone, the victim's family, the crew, the surrounding community...
Ralph

emt49

Jan 5, 2005
binghamton
i have been a EMT for 7 years now. i have seen two people hit by trains the frist one i had a chance to talk to the engineer. he told me it was his 2nd person in a month i felt bad for the guy you could tell he was upset but what could he do nothing thay dont stop on a dime .

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
It`s sad to say the Toronto Subway system have at least one suicide a week, more near the Christmas time.

These people more often than not come through the cab window or part of them do :(

This system HAS got to be up and running asap, the danger of the overflow of passengers on a platform is paramount!

I read a while ago the TTC was trying to get the investigation done, in as fast and human time as possible.
The EM Police and Coroner agreed, I hope they have it set up now.

This is a very Sad , but it is something that cannot be forseen. :(

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I've mentioned this before: we were coming home on the GO train and a train ahead of us hit someone. When this was announced on the PA, a man came up to the cab and said he was the Toronto Coroner and if they could get him to the scene, he would get us moving. Train went to the closest street crossing and a CN truck was waiting for him.
He told us he'd just been working on a report on this situation that said if the situation was pretty obvious, the body should be moved clear of the tracks and service resumed.
This was about 10 years ago, and they still don't have a fast resolution in place.

stuart_canada

Feb 12, 2005
another one hit yesterday in Ottawa by the VIA to Montreal. People need to learn the lessons of others before they repeat them the hard way

[font=Geneva, Arial] Sun, June 12, 2005

[size=+1]Train kills man in city's east

[/size]
[/font] [font=Geneva, Arial]By Ottawa Sun[/font][font=Geneva, Arial]
http://ads5.canoe.ca/event.ng/Type=...10-1104219270-12&random=bAdqnIu,bbkyzKKuNvarp
[/font][font=Geneva, Arial] A 24-year-old man was killed yesterday after he darted in front of a passenger train in the city's east end. Ottawa police said the man was struck and killed at about 1:10 p.m. after stepping in front of the VIA Rail train as it passed through the St. Laurent Blvd. underpass. Passengers on the Montreal-bound train were transferred to a bus to finish their trip. The man's name was not released. [/font]
[font=Geneva, Arial]

[/font] [font=Geneva, Arial] man was struck and killed at about 1:10 p.m. after stepping in front of the VIA Rail train as it passed through the St. Laurent Blvd. underpass. Passengers on the Montreal-bound train were transferred to a bus to finish their trip. The man's name was not released. [/font]

Traisessive

Oct 29, 2005
If you read the leverl crossing safety form youll see one just got hit in BRockville again.
Oh and in my conductor course they are saying get your emotions out now .. cause hitting someone is going to be a reality. ALWAYS expect it... so when it happens it won't affect you as much.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Traisessive said:
If you read the leverl crossing safety form youll see one just got hit in BRockville again.
Oh and in my conductor course they are saying get your emotions out now .. cause hitting someone is going to be a reality. ALWAYS expect it... so when it happens it won't affect you as much.

Sad as it is , the fault is not the Operators/Conductors, rather people, who are not aware that they are resposible for there actions, The ifa / coulda /shoulda is to late when a train hits you!

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Did any of you see the TV series "The Tube"? (On newsworld during the strike).
On one episode they followed a driver who had stopped his train short of someone who had jumped onto the tracks and then was going to fry himself when he didn't get hit.
They followed the driver who was too shaken to continue, and the inspector who had to drive the train bcak to the sheds, and talked about what this meant in terms of cost to the Underground and inconvenience to passengers.
I think they followed the driver as he tried to get back to work later in the week and had difficulty coping with going into the tunnels.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
People just won't learn. I've seen some pretty messed up thing's at my young age. Thank god the first accident I seen wasn't rail related. About 2 year's ago while I was on the road we we're down in Hammond, LA. we woke up, went in side to get coffee come back out to our truck to see a guy parked across the way from us had his hood torn off by another semi that didn't pull out far enough to make his swing and his trailer took the hood off. I looked at my step dad after taking a sip of my coffee and said "Damn, that's gotta be a good way to start your morning." So off down I-10 west bound we go not even 12 miles after we pulled out. A traffic jam. We got around to the accident and there was one of the most god awful thing's you'll ever see.

A man who was hit by a semi and then 3 car's. When we went by nothing was covered up. It was all out in plain view with investigators out there with white chalk, number card's, black trash bag's and those thing's used to pick up trash. I barely slept or ate for a couple week's because it bothered me that bad. I'm just saying this to tell you to avoid seeing it directly if your actually there in a mishap. After that people were known to be sent to shrinks because it bothered them from just seeing it. There is a website called Rotten.com that I was told about. They have pictures of train accidents concerning pedestrians.

They are up close pictures so if you check them out your on your own but what you see will be extremely disturbing but if shown to those who do dumb things and are lacking the knowledge of the real high concern for safety, it might get a point across. A friend of mine who used to work for KCS let me barrow a couple safety videos and they show something of the same thing like an employee out walking the yard to pick up trash and find's a crew members arm. From then on when I'm out rail fanning I do everything by the book as the employees do around live tracks and encourage the rest to do the same. As for those trying to catch the train that is about to leave and you have to cross live tracks with on coming trains. Don't do it. Loosing your job for being late is a lot better than loosing your life over your job. As for getting home on time or whever ever you are going too.

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
Been to and seen far too many dead bodies in my life, some babies, some elderly and all inbetween, and some are not very pretty to view. The main wait around here is to do with the railway. The coroner is usually there quite quickly and does their thing and the train is free to go as we all understand the urgency to get these things moving along as quickly as possible. In my experiences its the railway that has caused their delay. A supervisor and usually the company police have to arrive to do their investigations. Train has to be inspected, especially if striking a vehicle, and the ones lately that I have attended a new crew has to take over, this being a big delay. I am glad that this is done as some of the engineers that i have had to deal with are suffering sever physicological trama themselfs and are in no condition to be operating anything, never mind that train. l.. its better to get there late than not at all..Ron