Train Jerking

wpyr

Nov 6, 2007
Northern Alberta
Hi I have a Ho model of CN`s 6060 and every time I run it at a low speed it makes lots of little jerks. I have Atlas Gear lub but does anyone have any tips? thanks

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Steam locos have lots of places that can cause operational problems. :rolleyes::-D In addition to the problem of dirty wheels (and track), there are numerous places in the drive rods and valve gear that can cause binding. Many models also split current collection between the loco and tender, which means more places for something to go wrong. It might help to narrow things down a bit if we knew a little bit more about your loco, specifically, who makes it?

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
If it runs okay at relatively normal speeds, it may be the nature of the motor - many of the more cheaply made locomotives use a low-quality, three-pole motor, and these are not known for their smooth, low-speed, operation. ;):-D

Wayne

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Is this the President's Choice train set?
Further to Wayne's comment, with cheap motors with few poles you get an effect called "cogging" at very slow speeds as the motor zips one pole to the magnet then holds a bit and then zips another pole to the magnet. (very simplified explanation). This wold give many jerks per wheel revolution.
Do your jerks match the wheel revolutions (or twice a revolution)? That would suggest mechanical binding. If the loco keeps going deoite the jerks, it's probably not dirty wheel-rail contact.