Train Derailment question

Woodyncarlyle

Oct 22, 2006
It has been awhile since my last post. I have been plugging away at my layout (you guys make it look so easy). I will post pictures of my progress when all track is laid. Anyways to my question....I have almost all my track laid so I ran a test run, all is well except for one curve, there is no join, or any flaw that I can see, it isn't even at the sharpest part of the curve, but every time I run the loco arount it derails. Is it a possibility that the rail is sloped to the outside, or there is a flaw in the track, I am using code 80 flex track. I'm looking for pointers or a place to start looking if anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Woody

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
The possibilities are:
unlevel track
change of gauge
change of curve radius
bad rail joint
Does it happen in one direction or both? With the loco backing up as well? What is the loco? With and without cars?
Push the loco by hand through the spot and watch what happens. Is this your only loco? you may see the wheels rise over the rail or be forced over. The wheels may start the derailment before the point they come off.
Run a level over the rails. Also run your fingers along the rails. Check the track gauge -- either an NMRA gauge or a set of calipers.

Woodyncarlyle

Oct 22, 2006
Thanks for the reply. I only have one engine a Kato SD 90 mac, all my track is the same, code 80 atlas flex,the closest join is a good 8 inches before the curve starts, Is it possible that I have a bad piece of track on the curve and the rail spacing is out a little bit. Or is another possible problem the possibility of the outside rail being lower than the inside?

Thanks for the input
Woody

Woodyncarlyle

Oct 22, 2006
I have a caboose that I have been using for any testing. It runs fine but maybe it is not long enough for a good test?

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Woodyncarlyle said:
I have a caboose that I have been using for any testing. It runs fine but maybe it is not long enough for a good test?
.. or the locomotive is too long for the curve ( radius too small ).

I asked the question because I have 2 small layouts at home, one is made using Atlas sectional tracks ( the minimum radius is 9 3/4 " ) and the second layout uses Fleischmann sectional tracks ( 8 3/4" ).
My Fleischmann layout models the German WW2 era , it has small steam engine and 2 axles cars . Everything works fine, but if I run my Life Like GP18 and some 40 ' boxcar on it , both derails. On the other hand my Life Like SW9 has no problem at all on the Fleischmann track.

I 've heard there is some minimum locomotive length to curve radius ratio. Maybe that's your problem

Woodyncarlyle

Oct 22, 2006
I don't think it is a radius problem because the derailment happens at the beginning of the curve, where it isn't very sharp. I f I run the loco from the other direction it makes it through most of the curve and then derails.

Woody

Woodyncarlyle

Oct 22, 2006
Thank you everyone for there advice and tips I ran a longer rail passenger car over the area and I was mistaken, my curve was too sharp, once I have this repairs all should be well.
Thankyou