train derailment between CA and LA?

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by nolatron, Dec 24, 2004.

1. nolatron

nolatron Member

Went to check on a UPS package this morning and saw this for the status update:

"THE PACKAGE IS DELAYED DUE TO A TRAIN DERAILMENT"

Was just curious if anyone has seen any news of it. I'm gonna guess snow might have been a factor but don't' see any news blurbs on the net anyplace.

Package is coming from L.A to New Orleans if anyone is familiar with UPS' ground transportation routes. I thought they just used trucks for ground shipments, so I was surprised to see to the message.
  2. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

Ha Shaun, UPS ships lots of trailers pigback on railroads
  3. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

In fact, UPS is one of, if not THE biggest intermodal shipper the railroads have. I just recently read an article about it; but don't remember the magazine (I get so many), but perhaps someone else does.
  4. nolatron

nolatron Member

Interesting. Never knew they used rail, which is I found the status odd I guess.

The things we learn :).
  5. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

BNSF's fastest, highest priority trains are the Qnyla and Qlany I believe, unless BNSF changed the way they designate trains from ATSF. Qnyla is the UPS from N.Y. to L.A. and the Qlany is the UPS train from L.A. to N. Y.