train collision

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
About 1pm today an east bound Canadian National train consisting of two locomotoves and 101 cars was proceeding east bound just east of here. As the train came out of a curve and onto a strait portion of track it was confronted with a large boulder that was on the track. This boulder was the size of a chev suburban truck, it had just rolled down off one of the hills and stopped on the tracks. The lead unit collided with the bolder which caused the second engine and eight cars to buckle in a Z pattern, the ninth car was catipulted into the air and landed ontop of the cars ahead of it. The lead unit was diverted off the tracks and heading for the Frazer River which is a major,fast flowing, deep river here. It was a miricle that the lead unit stopped about 15 feet before going over the embankment and plunging into the river. The engineer and brakeman were very luck, only receiving minor injures and were taken to local hospital for observation. Ron..

3phase

Nov 12, 2004
Jacksonville, Florida
www.suprhost.com
Ouch, It might have something to do with this being a train forum but I have never herd of so many train wercks.....ever..... so far it's like 3 this month...

In my home town the worst i have herd of was the last 27 cars came uncoupled from a 47 car coal run and the e-brakes didn't work. The 27 cars rolled backwards right back to where they get loaded up. It took about 2 days of invistagation because it was assumed that they never were hooked up in the first place.

Once again it proves that when you assume it just makes an ASS out of yoU and ME.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
3phase said:
Ouch, It might have something to do with this being a train forum but I have never herd of so many train wercks.....ever..... so far it's like 3 this month...

In my home town the worst i have herd of was the last 27 cars came uncoupled from a 47 car coal run and the e-brakes didn't work. The 27 cars rolled backwards right back to where they get loaded up. It took about 2 days of invistagation because it was assumed that they never were hooked up in the first place.

Once again it proves that when you assume it just makes an ASS out of yoU and ME.

well that makes no sense. who in the hell "ASSUMED" the car's were'nt coupled? who ever determained that need's to quit smoking the pipe. excuse the expression of that but come on. either the car's are coupled or there not. b/c sometimes the locking pin stick's half locked if they arnt hit with the right. b/c you can under or over apply pressure to coupling up and that is caused by speed. but it will only hold for just a few minutes untill the cars start slacking and one of two things could happen is either they fully engage or they come uncoupled. how far away from the loading area were they b4 this happened? if if was more than a mile i'll be d**ned. i've never seen a car make it more than 40' b4 the pin's gave out from not being fully engaged. down here with KCS they watch the coupling process and make sure they engage other wise they will back up and hit it again untill they are full on. but as a RR employee your supposed to do this that way things like this never happen. guess the brakeman wasnt paying attention!

Charles