train accessories

Pat Roma

Jun 21, 2002
Virginia
Visit site
What is the proper scale or guage for accessories to O gauge trains such as ,People, cars, buildings etc. I have asked this question in local hobby shops and get different replys.

Pat Roma

Jun 21, 2002
Virginia
Visit site
Response

Thanks CATT, big help for future of my new layout. PS, how do I send a photo of a model I built of the Battleship Missouri to anyone interested? It is radio controled and all wood construction witcxh took approx., 9 months to complete.

Pat

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Welcome to The Gauge, Pat. I'm sure any pix of your modeling efforts would be appreciated here.

By the way, I see by your profile that you are interested in building a small (4x8) O scale layout. Uhhh, you might want to rethink either the size or the scale. Maybe some of the rest of us can comment on that.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
O scales

Pat:
If you got different replies, there are different O gauges out there.
O gauge is 1.25". If we use 1/4" to 1' scale, that's a 5 foot gauge, fine for the US South up to the civil war.
The reaction to this was (1) ignore it (2) narrow the gauge to 1 3/16" (4'9" prototype) (3) build to a larger scale (17/64"=1') (about 1:45.176....)
Option (2) meant building all your track and trying to squeeze your drivers in by 1/16". This was called Q gauge.
Option (3) meant you could buy commercial track and wheels but had to build everything else.
(1) has had the majority opinion for years; there are some fine scale people that I think are trying to revive (2).

It is sometimes said that O-27 trains are built to 3/16"=1' (1:64 or S scale). I think this is leftover from pre war American Flyer, because they used it and then after the war switched to S gauge.

The British use 7mm=1' and call it 1:43 or 1:43.5. Track gauge is 32 mm, but someone wants to use 31mm.

Can anyone tell me if the metric countries use 1:50 scale?

Go with Catt! 1:48, 1/4"=1", 1 1/4" gauge.