Traffic Lights?

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Hi all!

Does anyone have a line on HO scale traffic lights? I've seen the Model Power ones but they are HUGE - a scale 6' approx. :eek: :eek: :eek: Plus the butt end of the lights sticks out the back so you can't really have them anywhere that they could be seen from the side - and that's what I need since it's an interesection!!!

There must be something better. What do you use?

alkcnw

Apr 10, 2002
camp douglas Wis.
Visit site
Hmmmmm!, seems I've seen this post before. Sorry I can't help you much with this one Spitfire. I don,t recall seeing any good looking signals. I model mostly rural or small country town so I don't have much call for them. But I'm sure someone will know!!!!!!:eek:

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Traffic lights

I ran into this gentleman at a local trainshow last year. He builds all kinds of electronic things for mrr's. He has a working traffic light system that is really great. His prices are reasonable and the quality of his workmanship is super.

www.ironpeng.com/ipe/

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
Quite frankly (who is Frank ly?) I have not seen traffic lights that don't look completely oversized. The reaon is that you have 3 lamps in there. I would suggest scratchbuilding them from clear acrylic (plexi-glass), inserting 1 tiny bulb and leaving only 1 light position lit. After all, if your cars aren't moving, why should the lights change. Model railroads are really diramas that trains run through. I would use square acrylic rod about 1/8" sq. Cut it to length, spot drill the light openings and use thin sheet brass for shades. Heck, you could even use Evergreen styrene and MV lenses to keep it simple.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I actually saw the traffic lights from Berkshire Junction pitchwife was talking about at a train show back in Febuary. They looked pretty close to scale, better than the Model Power,and were hung between four telephone ploes(like in a city) but also like pitch wife said, they were pricey.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Traffic LIght Control

Spitfire,
This was in an edition of Australian Model Railway Magazine last year. It may help.

I also have circuit diagrams etc for traffic lights as well. Especially the pedstrain type, where you push "the button" the lights change, and "WALK" "DON'T WALK" lights work accordingly etc. You can place the "button" on the side of the layout and operate the pedestrian crossing! Let me know if you want the circuit diagram an instructions.

The traffic light controller using a cheap battery clock is:

Attachments

• traffic.jpg
    traffic.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 267

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Originally posted by Blake
Quite frankly (who is Frank ly?) I have not seen traffic lights that don't look completely oversized. The reaon is that you have 3 lamps in there. I would suggest scratchbuilding them from clear acrylic (plexi-glass), inserting 1 tiny bulb and leaving only 1 light position lit. After all, if your cars aren't moving, why should the lights change. Model railroads are really diramas that trains run through. I would use square acrylic rod about 1/8" sq. Cut it to length, spot drill the light openings and use thin sheet brass for shades. Heck, you could even use Evergreen styrene and MV lenses to keep it simple.

Y'know, Frank's right. Even if they're the right height, everything is too thick. Also agree about the animation aspect - who needs it? Now if I were running trolleys I would, (sigh), but I'm not so I don't. :D
If you look at streetlights as obsessively as I have been lateley - you'll see that scaled down the metal flange would be paper-thin. Suggests building it out of thin metal - maybe the thi ckness of those metal eraser shields from drafting class. Run a fiber optic - or LED I'm not sure. The backs of those things are boxes, the red light has one box and is bigger, the yellow and green share a box. And hearabouts they're painted yellow.
Food for thought.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hey I am back and a great time by all was had .More later.

A friend I met at last year came out to catch up with us (Nice)
at Rail Fair. I talked to him about scenery and TRAFFIC LIGHTS.
He said his Dad Who I met at the Kingston Show, had built a working 1.87 scale HO set of lights:eek:

And nobody operating that lay out DARE go through a red:D

Any way as a long shot I asked if he could obtain the know how for a friend of mine:D :D
Well he is going to see if that can be done . Also passed along the web site for the people to get to know you.

When I have all the piks back I will do a Rail Fair Thread.
His name is Mike & Sandy Muller.
I will send you the email
Get in touch and go from there.
Cheers.
Chris.