Traffic control lites, anyone?

Hello All:

I was "surfing" the web and found a website that sells rhe cuircit board for animated traffic lights. Has anyone used these? If so, what is your opion? I know that there are "dummy" or non-operating light. I don't those.

Do you have any ideas for me? If I could find a schematic diagram, electronic drawing, I could build one.

Since railroads also work along with roads, highways, and interstates. You need traffic control for them besides the railroads.

So, any ideas or thought on this subject?

Andy

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi, I havn't got traffic lights, but do have flashing crossing lights on two roads leading across tracks

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
Andy. It shouldn't be at all difficult to set up what you want. You could use fiber optics for the lights , one each red ,yellow , green,bulb could run them all that way. A 555 timer (1-2$) & a handful of resistors, with a wall transformer ( any where from 3 to 12 volts) to power it & you are set. I can't give you a schematic But I'm sure Radio shack will have something in one of their project books you can use.-----Dave

------------------
L V Dave

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
In the 21st century, we shouldn't have the problems procuring these kinds of products for the hobby.

Several years ago, I purchased a set of Bachmann (Opps, sorry for using the "B" word, Shamus!) lighted cross bucks with a three position switch which I still can't figure out. What motivated the purchase was the word "FLASHING" on the packaging. When installed, instead of the lights alternating, they flash together. The switch alternates which side of the tracks the lights function for, middle being OFF! I suppose in China both lights flash simultaneously on only one side of the tracks at a time? I guess which side flashes depends on which way the train is coming from????
confused.gif
????

Andy, it would be interesting to know if that circuit board you saw is capable of driving light sets for multiple intersections. If I had the company and was profit oriented, I would force the public to buy a separate board for each intersection!
tongue.gif

George.

Hello All:

I lost the website!
frown.gif
However these lights worked as the REAL thing! They went red to green to yellow and back to red! I know about the ones George is talking about. They look like garbage. This is a little cuirit board that drives LED's and low amp lights! When I find this site. I will post it for everyone to see!

It would be interesting to see what chips are used. Maybe make a copy cat of this cuirit.

Andy

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Andy, thanks for the tip!

I'll check the site for sure. I'm not really into installing a traffic light set, but I'm most interested in what they offer for telephone wires.

George.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Just hoping I can help out. There is an article in this months issue of Australian Model Railway Magazine on how to set up traffic lights using a cheap battery powered clock. I'll see if I can work out how to post the article in here.