Traction, take a closer look.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Folks, I think its time to encouage ALL modelers and new people to take a look at the History of Traction In the U.S.A and Canada. There is`nt much around to get you interested and thats a shame.There may be a bit more work involved with making poles and putting up over head, but the benifits are there.
I model heavey electric also Interurbans Conbines(passenger and fright units.)
You dont need a lot of space , you can turn Traction around in a 22inch loop and have a very nice 8 to 10inch shelve layout, or you can build an Empire. If there are any Traction fans out there come out of the closet and voice your thoughts on this thread.
If you are an experienced scatch builder try your skills on a Traction model. I have in the past had a Engish lay out then North American Steam/ Diesal I added a Traction line and that was it. I fell in love with Traction. Yep I had to pull the layout down again.
All I have to do now is look under the overhead and it all seems worthwhile.

Tractionaly Yours.
Chris:) :)

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Hello Chris my friend!

I see you made it safely over from the Atlas forum. Welcome aboard! :) :) :)

I have to agree that traction modelling is both awesome and under-represented -- especially when it comes to the TTC in HO scale (have you seen the amazing O scale beauties at: http://www3.telus.net/trolleybus/Streetcars.html
drool drool.

It's almost enough to make me want to change scales - check out the coupler on the front of that 1946 PCC! Man, it doesn't get any better than that.

Cheers
Spitfire (AKA Val)

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
I agree

Well hello my Friend Spitfire (aka val)

I wondered if that was you.
The web site you gave us is fab The prices ouch!!!!!!
Still you pay for what you realy want eh.

Your Tractionaly
Chris.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Hello Tyson,
Thanks for the encuraging words.
and yes when I can work out how to attach the things I will post some pixs.
I am a bit slow on the modern tecno.

May be I will ask spitfire to post some of what I sent on Sunday.
What about that Spit????????

Cheers.
Chris
;) ;) ;) :p

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Hi Chris!
Have you seen the portable O gauge TTC layout that goes to shows in the Toronto area? That's almost enough to make me change scales and prototype again.
I once had a 2' x 4' traction layout in HO. That was finally stripped down and the track recycled. In HO you can quite sharp curves if you rectrict yourself to city cars.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Hello 60103,
I have not seen it at the shows I 'do' But i have heard about it.
We take a modual to the shows in and around the Durham region
In Ontario.
we are building our second traction modual and are taking it to the Ottawa 'Rail fair' show the weekend after our Thanksgiving
and then to the Whitby show.
By the way we have nice tight turns on our traction layouts with freight.

I bet you miss that old 2' by 4' traction model. Are you in T.O.????

Cheers.
Chris.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
This one?

Chris,
A traction fan's delight. Apparently (according the webpage) the only one in the world. :eek: If you're ever in Melbourne, try this! click here

Melbourne has, probably, close to one of the most extensive tram networks in the world. (bout 180 miles of track or so, and is still expanding). Lots of detailed info, pics and history can be found here.

The old Melbourne trams have been fully restored, and used on the general network as fully operational transport, not just a little tourist attraction.

As well, a lot of Melbourne trams (old ones) have been exported to tourist attractions around the world, particularly the W2 class of which over forty ended up in the USA, many as operating heritage vehicles. click here

Melbourne trams in Seattle click here

Enjoy! :cool: :D

HO models of Melbourne trams can be obtained from here

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Chris and welcome to the gauge, traction, thats sounds a good idea. like to see some pics soon

Shamus

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Well Well Well. all I can say is thanks alot for all the input.
Spitfire the picky came throu great thats a scatched built unit
modled off the London&Port Stanly coming off a 22" loop around wiyh about 4 frieght cars. (you will have to email the know how Val).
Shamus, Hi How do you like the first picky?????

Hi Woodi, Thanks for the great Web page I bet Spitfire has already put it in the Fav...
When I worked In Manchester U K a mate went to Ausi and worked for years on the Melbourne Trams> Then he came back to work on Manchester Busses with me again he regretted that move back ,last time I heard(22Years ago) he was on his way back to Melbourne.
I Met some nice folk from Aussi 2 days after 9 11 they were diverted to T O and were out for a ride on my Streetcar.
We email picks often and hopefuly he will send my copies of the Trolly Wire book you guys have out.
Again
Cheers Chris.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Hello Traction Fans (and Chris - wait, he's a traction Nut!)

Here's another photo of Chris's traction layout. I am happy to be his techno-assistant! :) :) :) (at least I will be if this works - I'm never quite sure if it's going to).

Cheers!
Val

Attachments

• layout02.jpg
    layout02.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 285

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Hi Thanks spitfire you know what you are doing .
Thats a great shot did you notice the home made switch throws????
To qoute myself "take a closer looooook".
Cheers.
Chris.
Just come back from our night with the second Modual.
Its realy taking shape.
Thanks to all the guys Dave Andy Brian Glen Ernie and me.
Good Night.

Chris.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Hi Bill, yep it`s nice to see Traction in the mag, I just wish we could obtain framed pictures and T shirts with the big pantagraphs on the and overhead and those beutiful interurbans.

I can always buy steam and thats great but I DO LIKE TRACTION.
So here is another shot.
Cheers.
Chris.

Attachments

• fright delivery.jpg
    fright delivery.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 68

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
If I weren't stuck in 1880, Chris, I would definately model traction. My best rail memories are from the old Pacific Electric. Rode it all the time as a kid. And nearly killed myself on it once, as on a dare I ran out and jumped for the trolley pole rope to pull the pole off the wire --- our favorite brat trick --- missed it and landed on my head in the middle of Brand Blvd. in Glendale. Cars honking, people yelling. Got up and ran like hell.....

Maybe that --- landing on my head --- is why I wound up a model railroader????

Bill S

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Bill you can become unstuck and put in a traction Museam:D :D
As for pulling the pole the kids try that on the T.T.C Streetcars
I know I operated them for at least 11 years CLRV ALRV and the old PCC. driving busses know.

I was born 30 years to late and in the U K so I only got to know about the Traction 20 years ago, thats why no one models them cause they dont see them in action. I would have loved to ride all the big Traction lines.
Have you any pixs of the Pacific electrics???:) :)

Come on Bill put up some overhead, you will love it.
Cheers.
Chris.;) ;)

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Hi, Thought I would show you my "tight" loop.
All my traction navigate it comfortably (you can hear the odd flange squeel).
Also I can pull a nice 6 or 7 fright cars around to;)
If you want to model and have very little room try a Traction theme. There is a lot of history around and many books to help you.

Cheers.
Chris

Attachments

• fire hall 22 inch loop.jpg
    fire hall 22 inch loop.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 102