Traction Postings Right Here!

With the announcements of Model Railroad Warehouse to produce more traction motors of various types, thet're taking a BIG step in putting traction out front again. Check out the website at:

www.mrrwarehouse.com

This brings aroound some of the same problems, though, that the narrow gaugers have been faced with for years: detail parts! As soon as my Sommerfeldt pantographs arrived from Europe, I laughed and threw them away. What junk! I finally came across a pair of Precision Scale (KMT) pans at the National Narrow Gauge Convention in when it was held in Rhode Island a couple of years ago. There are also excellent New Haven RR GE EP-5 pans available from Railworks in Long Island, NY as seperate parts. Saw 'em at the train show in Springfield, MA. Just call someone up and ask about pans! 'Don't know what to tell ya...not much call for 'em 'round these parts, don't cha know. Most everyone uses trolley poles nowadays.' And do we really think that the GG1 pans from IHC will go well with our switchers? Puuullleeeese!
Where do we get detail parts? I use Cal-Scale for headlights, poling poles, tool boxes, and such, but would really like to see a couple of scale pans made in a couple of sizes. Especially for the new Baldwin D motors coming out from Model Railroad Warehouse! Whatch think, Chris?
:wave:

Russ:sleeping: :sleeping:

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Thanks for the update Russ.

We both know that Traction detail parts are like gold to get hold of, if we see them we end up buying the stock:D
We have used the Marklin pan with good success.
The picture below is all scratch built and she looks it:( but I like it:D
It would be great to have a ready supply of all things for Traction. zzzzzzaaaaaappppp:thumb:

Attachments

• 1010 at station.jpg
    1010 at station.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 106

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Thanks Jon, yes,, it is the very first attempt.
I had an old coach frame with no roof , so I got the Brass out and I have a lot of Traction wood roof in strips.
One SW 7 a Pan and a bulb or two and we were in business:thumb:

I have a few Bowsers and a expensive Brass unit 1010.
But I get more pleasure building and running my own stuff:p

Nice one, Chris! What's the scale height that you use between the rail and the wire? I'm using 22 feet..I think that was common. I'm still researching out the appropriate voltage for the equipment that I'm going to run. Small and medium steeple cabs could work off of 600 volts, but I'm also considering passenger MU operations and EP-5s for freight. Once I have the technical background down, I can finalize my motive power. Any suggestions? :rolleyes: :) :cool:

Russ:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Hi Russ,,
I go with 20 scale ft from the top of the rail to the wire
If you are haveing proto very tight curves on your L/o Russ your coupling arms will have to have full swing on the MU and Freight !.
I did it on my L/O I take a two box motor and 6 freight make up around a 22"radius
:eek:
Are you going with one Road??? if so which one??
Did you check on the pole making??:cool:

Good Morning, Chris...

The road that I'm modeling is my Hudson Electric, located in my home state of New Jersey. I did check out your trolley pole article. What I plan on doing is using steel I-beams for poles set in a concrete base, something along the lines of the DL&W catenary system as in the postcard view below. Also, I want to model an MU set something like these, too. :D
Since I live 1/2 hour from New Haven here in CT, I've looked at the catenary used on the old New Haven RR now Metro North. Metro North is a state-run commuter road and the rest of the line is part of the Northeast Corridor of Amtrak. From New Haven on up to Boston, the catenary is new. There are sections of the system between New Haven and Stamford that are original and, from my research, there were 3 different designs used from Grand Central in New York up to New Haven! Try figuring that out! :eek:
Roads that had long track runs turned up the juice as to avoid having substations in places where they couldn't have substations...like in the Cascade Mountains! There, 11,000 volts DC did it. Small roads got by with 600 volts. I think that the DL&W operated on either 1500 or 3000 volts DC. I'm looking into what the Sacremento Northern used....I think that they used two different voltages and the motors could switch between the two. Hmmmm....gives me ideas. Anyway, that's where I'm at. I'll keep you updated. Any ideas??

Russ
:) :wave: :wave: :)

Attachments

• dlw mu hack curve.jpg
    dlw mu hack curve.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 82
Originally posted by Ray Marinaccio
This pan looks close to what's on those MU cars.

Hello, Ray...

Now THAT'S more like it!! :thumb:
I tried scratchbuilding my own pans at one time, but ended up with a jumble of wire rods that would always fall apart! :rolleyes: :curse: :(
I look forward to trying to make one using your method. Here's another postcard from my collection, this time for the trolley pole guys! :wave:

Russ :cool:

Attachments

• conestoga traction co..jpg
    conestoga traction co..jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 68

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Good morning Russ, my pc was sick it nearly fried But I have a great guy who looks after me:D :D Three hours work for $50 Canadian. phew !!!! A lot of spy stuff ! 20 of the buggers had got in:curse: :curse:
Seems like you are going to run Main Line electrics,,, Good for you,
That is NEAT:D :D
Catenary is going to be expensive ,,unless you are going to scratch build the over head.. er this is a long term project Russ:D .
Nice choice of equipment, Easy to build , you should have a roster in no time:thumb:
There is an British web site that does different Pans and bows.
I will look it up and post it here for you to look through.
Walthers still do some Traction bits.
Have you got a catalog??
If you find old caboose`s or junk You can salvage "stuff" from them,, battery box, air tanks and such.:wave: :wave:

Good Morning, Chris...

I'll build the cat using Model Memories preformed overhead cat wire and scratchbuild my own I-beam poles. Take a look at their website..here's the link:

http://www.info-4u.com/modelmemories/INDEX.HTM

Some stuff, eh? The cat is just as important as the trackwork, as you well know. I want to keep it asimple, yet prototypical, that's why I'm going with the DL&W design. The cat used on the New Haven mainline is just mind-boggling! :eek: Now, if only one of my favorite model loco manufacturers would come out with an undec EP-5! Hmmmm....;)

Russ :wave: