Traction link

robt46 said:
Well now you've went and done it! Turned me into a Traction Nut.

Traction is THE historic modeling aspect of the hobby that always gets 'oooooohs' and 'ahhhhhhhhhhhs'! :eek: :thumb: Just take a look at Chris Interurbans work! Here's one of my little switchers built from a kit. Under the wire....the ONLY way to go!

Attachments

• #104 Side.gif
    #104 Side.gif
    35.3 KB · Views: 57

robt46

Nov 21, 2004
Ahh! Two fine distinguished looking gents if ever there were. Great shots. Great contrast old and new. The trollys I mean. Hehe. That church scene--wow--look at those wires. Looks like a nightmare. Robt.

interurban said:
Is`nt she lovley Russ! Well done my friend WELL DONE!! :thumb:
Love the paint job.

From you, Chris, I am honored. :) When I get the pair of Cannonball Car Shops B-W Class D loco kits, I want to do them in a maroon. I hope to get those switchers some time this year...they're going into production soon and I'm lloking forward to getting them. ;)

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Chris will probably be able to tell you where it was, and also when the last PCC was taken out of regular service.

No such thing: PCC's are still carrying passengers in San Francisco, and probably a few other cities as well!

Another great traction link: The East Penn Traction Club!
http://www.eastpenn.org/

Ahhh, that little GE electric...whenever I see that I turn Pullman green with envy!!

robt46 said:
Chris, Would you happen to know what this Trolly is. I have'nt a clue about this traction stuff. This maybe a start. Thanks Robt. Hehe hope this works first time I tried this.

That's Route 11 during the private ownership days in Philadelphia prior to 1968. The location is the 40th Street portal where subway surface lines come to the surface. Route 11 still operates today.

Present day photos: http://world.nycsubway.org/us/phila/rt11darby.html

http://world.nycsubway.org/

All you want to know about Philadelphia trolleys including track maps and route maps:

http://www.phillytrolley.org/

interurban said:
We have a couple of TTC PCC`s at Rock wood museam, I drove them in the mid 80`s and the CLRV also the ALRV. I work for the TTC btw :p and operated the new ones up to 2001.
Here are pic of Streetcars in T O. I am wearing the white hat. Have fun.

Hey Chris, :wave: nice photo of King and Church. Here's a couple from a different angle!!

Notice the two poles close together? The TTC was in the process of replacing span poles and some of the old poles stand close to the new poles while the TTC waits for Toronto Hydro to move its lines from the old poles.

Attachments

• KC1.jpg
    KC1.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 16
  • KC3.jpg
    KC3.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 21
  • KC2.jpg
    KC2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 22

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
NICE PICTURES

How did you get up there Bill?
They are very informative shots of trackage and overhead.

Man I loved my time down there , although stressful to a point, like the OWMYGOD bar that we GRIP when cars take our stopping space when in a full emergancy stop. YIKESSS.

I will say again.
If you have never taken the first streetcar out of the barns in the morning (or rode one)after a good snow fall you have`nt had the ultimate thrill.
No tracks to see, the car just takes you along , wow!

Then you have to find your switch, I wonder if many no the easy way to locate a switch.
I wonder how many know how to locate a switch under fresh snow?

Any one?

interurban said:
NICE PICTURES

How did you get up there Bill?

Thanks Chris.

That was taken from the window of my den in a condo I owned from 2000 to 2004. It was a fun place to live and looking back it seems hard to believe I was there for four years. Time flies!!

I love traction, but even on the 11th floor there was alot of noise. You're right close by the intersection and hear the cars going through or going around the corner. Whenever Queen cars were diverting down Church or turning up Church I would know. The sound was different when an ALRV came along to the corner than when a CLRV came along.

It was amazing to have 3 streetcar lines outside your window (503 M-F rush, 504, and 508 M-F rush). The last car eastbound on King is just before 3:00 AM. If I was awake I'd freqently hear it.

interurban said:
I will say again.
If you have never taken the first streetcar out of the barns in the morning (or rode one)after a good snow fall you have`nt had the ultimate thrill.
No tracks to see, the car just takes you along , wow!

Then you have to find your switch, I wonder if many no the easy way to locate a switch.
I wonder how many know how to locate a switch under fresh snow?

Any one?

Cool :) I remember seeing King Street from the condo when the snow was largely undisturbed.

Well the location of the overhead frog should guide you. Using a guide sometimes used in trolley modelling, the overhead frog should be 1/3 of the way past the track switch.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
bill937ca said:
Cool :) I remember seeing King Street from the condo when the snow was largely undisturbed.

Well the location of the overhead frog should guide you. Using a guide sometimes used in trolley modelling, the overhead frog should be 1/3 of the way past the track switch.

Yes all you have to do is look up , with sweeping brush in one hand and switch iron in the other, once you are under the frog the switch is slightly ahead.:thumb:
If the switch is a manual throw=
After the streetcar has turned, do not forget to walk back and reset for main line.:D :thumb:

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Bill: the first photo of the car turning south on Church shows that TTC finally removed the unuasable north bound track on Church. That loop has been one way as far back as I can remember (mid 60s) because of one way traffic on Wellington. Funny thing, in the late 60s or 70s (?) they re-did the track and enclosed the ROW in concrete instrad of cobbles. They did both tracks even though the one was never used (unless someone reversed a work car down it). Before that, the curve at Church and Wellington was sub-clearance and had a sign "Cars must not pass on this curve".
Do they still have the overhead in where the northbound track was?