Tracks in the road???

guppyman

Dec 6, 2001
League City TX
www.railimages.com
I am very interested to see both real and modeled tracks that run through roads, parking lots, etc... I am especially interested in seeing modeled turnouts surrounded by concrete. But any and all road pics are welcome....

Thanks so much guys....

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Here's one of mine. I do asphalt because the area I'm modeling doesn't have concrete roads. I went out of my way to make sure there would be NO grade crossings on turnouts! :D :D :D Kidding aside the space (slot) in the road surface along the piece of the turnout the moves back and forth is hard to get to scale. It tends to look tooooooooo wide. The sharper the turnout and the smaller the scale the uglier it gets! :rolleyes: :eek: :D This shot is n-scale BTW. The road surface is spackling compound.

Attachments

• rr crossing.jpg
    rr crossing.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 257

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I don't know if there is any way to model realistic turnouts in pavement, unless the traction guys have some sort of turnout that I'm not aware of. The problem is that our switch points move a much greater distance proportionately than the prototype. That is because even when modeling to finescale standards in ho scale or smaller our wheel flanges are wider than prototype. We also need to have a little extra clearance because of the possibility of electrical shorts. The closest that you could do would be to cut a "curved triangular" piece of styrene to fit between the points on one end and the frog at the other end. Then use somesort of fillerlike spackle or perhaps wet or dry sandpaper to simulate the texture of asphalt. This piece would then move with the points, so it would look prototypical only when the switch is thrown in either direction. It would not look prototypical when the switch is being thrown because the asphalt would move with the switch. At the frog end of the turnout, you would bring the road up to the outside edges of the frog while leaving the flangeways clear. Track would be done the same way, with the asphalt coming right up to the outside edge of the track, even to the point of touching the outside of the rail but lower than the top of the rail so it doesn't lift wheels off the rail and interupt electrical power to the trains. The asphalt in the middle of the track needs to have flangeway clearance for the wheel flanges. In fact Robert Smaus did a number of articals for RMC a few years ago on his model railroad which is a switching layout based on the "Gump Stump" layout in Kalmbach's "101 Track Plans For Model Railroads." He specifically mentioned that while he trys to model downtown Los Angeles on the S.P. in the early 50's, he deliberately made sure all of his turnouts were off the pavement in the dirt.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Russ, the best switch to use are made By Richard Orr, and are called Richard ORR switches, they are Traction turnouts, but I have had great success with diesal operation over these switches
They are rather a sharp turnout;)
Sorry I have no pics of them but will try and find the particulers.
and post later.:p
This is the city to be with street trackage.

Attachments

• city shot 1.jpg
    city shot 1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 250

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Hello it`s me again:D
If you are intrested here is the info.;)

Richard Orr.
6506 Western Ave
Omaha NE 68132

Ph # 1 402 551 3429.

Send SASE for info and price list.

Happy road work.
:D

You will have to insulate the track as it is a solid white metal switch. can be done.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
In a couple months I'll be laying some street trackage including two turnouts. I agree that the space next to the points is visually distracting and have always had any grade crossings avoid the points, frogs aren't a problem. However, I'll be giving it a go. One advantage of handlaying is you can make the points much closer to the stock rails. Wiring the points (and gapping them) ri the adjacent stock rail eliminates the short problem. Most commercial turnouts have at least a 1/8" gap at the points (HO) I have built turnouts with 1/16 gap which operate perfectly. I hope to narrow this a bit and still get switchers and 40 and 50' freight cars to negotiate them at slow speed. Time will tell. One of the turnouts I hope to build a single point turnout. There was a thread a while back with photos (or links to photos) showing this type trackage. I can't wait!

Gary

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Road across switch

Guppyman:
This is the best I can do. The road stops short of both the frog and the points (No photo of the points.)
Location is Chippawa Ont., in 1959.
The tail track is on a bridge across the river. The bridge is gone now and the switch has moved to behind the photographer.

Attachments

• chippawa-03.jpg
    chippawa-03.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 234

alex_mrrkb

Nov 13, 2002
Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
www.mrrkb.com
Here's mine:

roadmaking7.jpg

The road itself is simply foamcore, painted with WS Aslphalt Gray.

The part between the rails are toothpicks glued together and sanded smooth. The ones you see on the picture are too round, I've installed much better ones but my digital camera is being repaired.

guppyman

Dec 6, 2001
League City TX
www.railimages.com
I just figured I'd bump this up to see if anyone had more road pictures. I probably seemed to focused earlier on turnouts.... Actually, any tracks in pavement will be helpful....

Used, abandoned, paved over, brand new.... It doesn't matter!

I'm leaning towards a lot of pavement on my next layout, so any and all ideas are very much welcome.

(BTW- I just worked it out so my 12' x 12' room is no longer going to host 2 computers.... So I get the whole thing!!! Now I just need to start track planning... well... and get actual real measurements... details, details....):)

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
And a shot of my old layout with a scatched built box car pulling a La Bell wooden Illinois bread basket on street trackage.
Will that do for Now:D :D ;) :p
Hope it helps you guppyman;)

Attachments

• model street track il bread car.jpg
    model street track il bread car.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 66