Trackplan Challenge

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Yeah, that bridge is what caught my eye while I was checking out the area with Terraserve a year ago. It was like "what the heck is that". I could tell it was a good size bridge by the shadow it cast. It's obvious that that organization has some deep pockets because I'm sure they flipped for part of the bill. Like MasonJar said, it's progress.

Phantom Canyon is a great drive. I'd like to drive the Gold Camp rd, but I understand that it needs to be done in a 4x4 and I didn't have one the last time I was up there. The Molly Kathleen IS a great tourist trap. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to see the insides of a real goldmine. They also have some cool museums.:thumb:

As for crazy trackplans that look like spiderwebs with track on top of track, on top of track, that's the prototype of them all. :D

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
You can't drive the Phantom Canyon Road without returning to Canon City by the old stage road, Shelf Road, which makes Phantom Canyon look like a 4-lane highway!

My wife is from Canon City, and I love that whole part of Colorado. I often take drives to the old coal towns, took the Royal Gorge train tour, and am waiting for a reservation on the Durango-Silverton.

Nothong against the rest of the nation, but give me vertical landscaping and narrow gauge trains and day

train97 !

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
MM,

Sorry I have nothing yet. The planning software issue is taking longer to resolve than I thought. It looks like I'll need an additional harddrive before I can add anything else to my current computer - darn iTunes library...!

Andrew

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Finally got my computer resurrected - don't ask - and dropped by to see if anything was new. Naturally, I lost all my bookmarks in the process...:curse:

Seems like nothing has happened in the last three weeks in any of the forum areas.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hey MM...

Computer troubles, eh? I also have not (re)solved my iMac compatible planning s/w conundrum, so there has not been much happening in this thread I am afraid. But there has been lots going on elsewhere...

Andrew

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
MasonJar said:
Hey MM...

Computer troubles, eh? I also have not (re)solved my iMac compatible planning s/w conundrum, so there has not been much happening in this thread I am afraid. But there has been lots going on elsewhere...

Andrew

That would be putting it mildly. It took 2-1/2 weeks, $150 and cost me all of my stored data aand bookmarks. Everything from Windows to AOL had to be reloaded from scratch. I also lost all of my efforts on XTrkCad. I am well beyond being merely po'd, and approaching righteous rage.

I favor the death penalty for hackers and creators of viruses and other programs aimed at damaging the property of others - preferrably with me administering that sentence at point blank range. :curse:

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I favor the death penalty for hackers and creators of viruses and other programs aimed at damaging the property of others - preferrably with me administering that sentence at point blank range.

" I'll keep my dark side,.......in the dark, and speek not the thoughts that stir in the deeper areas of my soul, here, where my words could become evidence." - annonymous

When I open email, and there are 148 messages, and only four of them are "valid", a primeval beast stirs, and longs to exact vengence. It is the civilized thing, to throw it a small scrap, and close again the dark door, for it knows not compassion.

Let's get back to model railroading. :)

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Last night, just for shucks and grins, I tried out XTrkCad v.4.1 to see if I could design a smaller wye. To my utter surprise, I got a working solution on the first try. 3 wyes, 4 curved sections and a piece of flex track to connect the base of the wye, and it's probably a good 25% smaller than anything I have been able to come up with to date.

Of course, it had to be designed using HO track - :( - since XTrkCad no longer supports HON3, but at least I can work on the basic layout plan.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Excellent news! I have resorted to graph paper, pencil and compass to do a bit of work for you. When I get to my scanner (probably this weekend) I will show you what has happened...

Andrew

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Now, the next question, before the coming upgrade causes all of this to vanish into the ether, is how in the devil do you post something from XTrkCad?

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
Mountain Man said:
Now, the next question, before the coming upgrade causes all of this to vanish into the ether, is how in the devil do you post something from XTrkCad?
Like this:
First you print or export to a bitmap (depends on which version you have what it is called)
Then you need to turn the bitmap into a jpg to make it small enough to post. You can open the bitmap (.bmp) in paint or irfanview, or anything like that, and then save it as a jpg. You might need to adjust size or colors to get the size you need.
Then post it as you would any photo.
It is a bit of a pain, but not too bad, really.

Jeff