Trackmobile

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by satokuma, Apr 8, 2004.

1. satokuma

satokuma Member

Anyone know where I can find N scale trackmobile or a start on kit/scratch bashing of one.
  2. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

That will be a tough one. If you are able to locate a mecanism to power it, I would love to know where you find it. You might look into pager motors - the motor that vibrates it. Gearing and getting power to the trucks will be another challenge. You can do it if you want to tho :D May the force be with you.
  3. belg

belg Member

What is it???????????????Pat
  4. satokuma

satokuma Member

5. mhdishere

mhdishere Member

Pat,
    It's basically a tractor (like on a payloader) with rail wheels, you could drive it on the road, put it on the rails, lift the road wheels and use to to move cars around.

There was an article in the May 1985 MR about scratch-building a trackmobile in HO. IIRC they used a flea to power it and styrene for the body, and wheels from a tractor kit or something like that for the road wheels. In N scale the motor and gear box would probably cause the biggest problems, those critters are SMALL.
  6. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Alcoa runs one, but I never see it while I have a camera :(
  7. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

8. belg

belg Member

Thanks Guys that really helps the picture just put the icing on cake Jon. I assume the wheels are driven by an electric motor or is it a diesel? And what makes the wheel raise and lower?
  9. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Most or all are diesel or gas, I dunno if they are mechanical or electric, but I immagine the wheels are raised and lowered electrically. You might find an answer to that at: www.trackmobile.com/
  10. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I think they are diesel/hydraulic. The diesel engine turns a hydraulic pump. The wheels are powered by hydraulic motors, and the wheels are raised and lowered by hydraulic rams.
  11. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

That makes a lot more sense than diesel electric in a package that small. I wonder if the gas jobbies are electric or hydro. I would doubt gas mechanical, since they need to raise the wheels.
  12. railohio

railohio Active Member

There are a number of them in this area. With a little luck this coming week I can get some more photos for you guys.