track

erie

Dec 6, 2006
lancaster sc
Ok guys Its been a very long time sents iv done any train model stuff my grandson wants me to help him on an HO train [ he wants to build one] Over the years things have changed sents i buildt mine [45 years] what i need to know is the track to start out with first what is a good track I seen something about code 100 track is this a good track to go with. dont want to put a bunch of track down and it no be any good .I still remember a lot of stuff but like i say things change and new things come out so can anybody piont me to some good track to lay. ya starting all over again

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
If you want track for quick-and-dirty running (throw down a circle of track and run some trains around the christmas tree), then go for Kato Unitrak. It assembles and disassembles a lot easier than Bachmann EZ-Track or Model Power's Power-lock track. (I have used all three so I'm speaking from experience).

If you want to build a permanent layout, you should get Nickel Silver track (what the rails are made of is more critical than what code it is. DO NOT GET BRASS OR STEEL TRACK). What code track (100, 83, etc.) depends on how you want it to look and how much you are willing to spend. 100 is very thick rail. 83 is thinner and looks more like the rail more commonly used for mainlines.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Nickel silver track is available in Code 100 or Code 83. They are available as sectional snap track or 3-feet-long sections of flex-track. These should all work fine for a permanent pike.

As long as it's nickel silver, it should be reliable whether it's Code 100 or 83.

Good luck.

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
Hello and welcome. To get up to speed try the library. A LOT has changed in 45 years as you are finding our.
Next try free sites like mine and many of the others here. Go to my "LINKS" section and look up 'how to's '. There is simply a ton of stuff out there.

Anyhow, hunker down and read a lot and you will do fine.