Track Testing

Tim K

What Engine do you use to test your layout to make sure the
track is free of problems , I have read that some engines were fussier than
others and thought I might pick one up just for testing my layout.

Thanks
Tim K

I use a good running cheapie right off, the faster the better. If the track is screwed up and prone to derailing, I'll soon find out. Only AFTER I know the rail is pretty good, then I get down to thr nitty-gritty of fine tuning the track. After all this, I make sure of ample connection to keep my good one creeping smooth.

Lynn

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Steamers generally find more problems than diesels... longer cars find more than shorter, etc, etc.

Andrew

Russ Bellinis

If you are running diesels, an Alco PA has about the longest wheelbase trucks around unless it is the Athearn U.P. DD40. I've found an Alco P.A. with a string of 85 foot passenger cars behind it will find any track problems you might have.

jim currie

i use a old brass decapod(2-10-0) that has all drivers flanged if there is the least little problem with the track off she goes:)

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
After a major accident(My super detailed GP-60 flew off the edge of the layout), I now use a cheapie loco to check for bad spots in the track and test electrical connections.

Russ Bellinis

eightyeightfan1 said:
After a major accident(My super detailed GP-60 flew off the edge of the layout), I now use a cheapie loco to check for bad spots in the track and test electrical connections.

Sorry to hear about your gp60. I think a piece of masonite fastened to the edge of any new track work to keep rolling stock from diving to the floor would be good hindsight to use until you are confident that a piece of track won't derail equipment and send it to the floor.

b28_82

I've found that I run into most problems at the club using my C44-9 Athearn Locos when going around tight curves they grind a lot and sometimes jump off the tracks.