track & roadbed removal.

Woodie

All,

Due to the incomptetence of my Railway Engineers, architects, and labourers.... (that's ME i'm referring to!)....

"BING BING BINNNG. .... "Attention please..... Attention please. Garahbara Railway will be suffereng some minor delays while management has a restructure (sack the lot of 'em) Garahbara Raliway Inc apologises for any incovenience caused"

I now need to hire a demolition company. Their job will be to remove about 3 feet of roadbed & ballast.
Conditions of employment are minimal, just so long as you've done it before. Tools will be provided.

First task for the demolition is to re-lay about 3' of elevated track, and insert a turnout.

All applicants welcome for the position except that idiot (what..... ME???)
redface.gif
who stuck the stuff down in the first place!
redface.gif
mad.gif

Applications close whenever.

TOOT!

[This message has been edited by Woodie (edited 05-08-2001).]

Woodie

Has anyone used a heat gun to remove the ballast and sleepers from the roadbed?
How about a chisel and large hammer?

TOOT!

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Woodie,
If you used 50/50 PVA, then just wet the lot, it should come up and leave the ballast behind, this is why I always use wallpaper paste, just for this rerason.

shamus

George

What a tragedy. Take up the guilty buggar with the union!

Woodie,put on the radio, take a flat, long, narrow paint scraper and take your time. You probably can't recycle the track. Perhaps you can take the sleepers off the track and use them for piles, for old/new ones scattered along the ROW.

A heat gun might prove disasterous. I'd wager the sleepers would melt before the glue and you always run the risk of burning the house down with them.

I bet Shamus is wondering with me about what kind of adhesive you used?

George.

Woodie

YOu haven't heard the rest of it. The bit I need to rip up is the first ballast atempt. so it is STUCK. I used full strength PVA. mixing it with the ballast, then applied it.
I'll try the hot water bit and see how I go. I'll try the heat gun next. Used the heat gun a lot when stripping doors etc for a repaint.

TOOT!

PS. You are all hired. Report for work at Garahbara Railway in the morning. Wages.... did I hear someone mumble "wages"? How bout a cuppa tea and a digestive oval?
smile.gif
smile.gif