track plan need your help

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
due to a winfall my way got a whole box of flex track and over 20 engines and 50+cars and two weeks off the internet I got around to working on a track plan and how the atlas program work I started a plan needs help the will be flip over so the staging yard will be on the left side and a helix I think to a second level in n-scale and left all the sidings and stuff for now:confused: :p ;) :D :) :cool: :rolleyes: :eek: rich

Attachments

• 121212121.jpg
    121212121.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 620

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Holy cow rich -- I know you're excited, but slow down a take a breath! :D

Ok, one thing I would recommend is that the yard that is at the top of the plan be moved to the front, and the long looping track be moved to the back. You are going to have derailments, maintenance work on turnouts, throws for turnouts, etc, in that yard that will require access. Don't try to reach too far!

As for whether this is a good layout for realistic operations, I will leave that assessment to others.

I know if I managed to get all that stuff and two weeks off to work on it, I be pretty darned excited too! Good luck!! :):)

Andrew

clumber

Originally posted by MasonJar
As for whether this is a good layout for realistic operations, I will leave that assessment to others.

Andrew

One of the problems is that you will only have one place for operations, namely the yard. There are no passing sidings so you will only be able to run one train round and round. Could do with a siding half way round to allow for a meet.
Brian

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
well I was try to see what would fit where left the sidings or and second main and the turntable wouldn't be that big and brian your right the yard would have to be up front and the staging yard as go go to the other side and the curve as to be shorten around the helix so i can get in the door of the shed and still playing with all my ideas and any you guys can help withZ(in n-scale how high would you put the second level above the first)what to run the longest trains i can:D :D :p :cool: :confused: :confused: :eek: rich

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Rich:
for the height of the second level, do you need to reach in and pickup/rerail cars? Try setting up a length of track and put a board over it -- suspend the board on a pair of 1x3s, 1x2s, 1x4s (or equivalent) and see what it's like putting your hand in.
Or were you talking in terms of feet for scenery separation?

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
was talking about how high I sould build the second above the first one also that would help with how high to make the first one and still playing with the layout plan:D :D :D rich

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
rich, there is no hard and fast answer to this question, it is a matter of your preferance. A big factor is your height and what view of the trains you like. I am 6'2", my multilevels are a t 42" and 57", approx. Depth of the scene also affects the decision. A deep scene on the bottom requires a higher upper level or a less deep upper level if you want to be able to see the entire depth of the lower level. The best suggestion here would be to build a mockup and see what you think.

Gary

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Rich, I think 15" is the bare minimum, 20" would be better in terms of sight lines for the bottom level, but the trade off is how low do you want the bottom to be and how hight the top. That is, the lower the bottom the less fun it is to work under. The top height is limited by reach. You can stand on a step stool to work on it, I do all the time. But there is still a limit to how high you can go and still see to operate satisfactorily. I strongly suggest a mock up before you commit.

Gary

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Rich:
You want to see how comfortable you are at those working heights; also what you and your operators (or family) can see. I worked on a layout of a fellow who's a bit taller than I am (I'm 6') and his top level was at my eye level. This is realistic for viewing, but as a yard I could only see to the first track with cars on it. Too low can give you backaches.

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
OK HERE WE GO THE REVISE LAYOUT SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK SO FAR THE RED OUTLINE IS THE BENCH WORK AND THE WORK BENCH IS UNDER THE STAGING YARD ON THE LEFT:D :D :D :D :D RICH

Attachments

• new layout drawing.jpg
    new layout drawing.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 521

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Rich,
I like the last plan better than the first, this one has great possibilities for scenics/photographs later on. Still going to use a helix?

Shamus

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
you didnt think it was to much shamus and still thinking about the helix do have a basic plan for the upper level you know need somewhere to put the logging operation and some other ops will see:D :D rich

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
well I moved my work bench over to where I wanted it but it didn't fit right so I will be putting it along the short wall and that way am not blocking the doors still have to keep my garden tools and such in there
:D :D :D rich

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
how I need ideas

well been working on it and I think the work bench move will work better on the short wall more room belind me wouldn't be hitting the bench all the time with the back of my chair and think I can get a another foot in front of the helix? for a siding there:D :D rich

Attachments

• my layout first level.jpg
    my layout first level.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 184

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
was out in the shed where the layout going was fun we got over 10inches of snow damm it was cold out there got the work bench move all I have to do is lower it down so I can sit I think standing and working n-scale models.engines,cars and stuff dont work for me got alot work to do out there :D :D :D :D :D :D rich

ps looks like I will be going with a double level too with contuction to begin jan or feb got to get alot more track,turnouts