track plan need your help

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by rich maiorano, Nov 8, 2002.

1. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

due to a winfall my way got a whole box of flex track and over 20 engines and 50+cars and two weeks off the internet I got around to working on a track plan and how the atlas program work I started a plan needs help the will be flip over so the staging yard will be on the left side and a helix I think to a second level in n-scale and left all the sidings and stuff for now:confused: :p ;) :D :) :cool: :rolleyes: :eek: rich

Attached Files:

2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Holy cow rich -- I know you're excited, but slow down a take a breath! :D

Ok, one thing I would recommend is that the yard that is at the top of the plan be moved to the front, and the long looping track be moved to the back. You are going to have derailments, maintenance work on turnouts, throws for turnouts, etc, in that yard that will require access. Don't try to reach too far!

As for whether this is a good layout for realistic operations, I will leave that assessment to others.

I know if I managed to get all that stuff and two weeks off to work on it, I be pretty darned excited too! Good luck!! :):)

Andrew
  3. clumber

clumber New Member

One of the problems is that you will only have one place for operations, namely the yard. There are no passing sidings so you will only be able to run one train round and round. Could do with a siding half way round to allow for a meet.
    Brian
  4. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

well I was try to see what would fit where left the sidings or and second main and the turntable wouldn't be that big and brian your right the yard would have to be up front and the staging yard as go go to the other side and the curve as to be shorten around the helix so i can get in the door of the shed and still playing with all my ideas and any you guys can help withZ(in n-scale how high would you put the second level above the first)what to run the longest trains i can:D :D :p :cool: :confused: :confused: :eek: rich
  5. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

revise track plan

well I work it over and still sidings aren't on but that can wait till i get started building it and see what fits where:D :D :D rich
  6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Rich:
    for the height of the second level, do you need to reach in and pickup/rerail cars? Try setting up a length of track and put a board over it -- suspend the board on a pair of 1x3s, 1x2s, 1x4s (or equivalent) and see what it's like putting your hand in.
    Or were you talking in terms of feet for scenery separation?
  7. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

was talking about how high I sould build the second above the first one also that would help with how high to make the first one and still playing with the layout plan:D :D :D rich
  8. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

rich, there is no hard and fast answer to this question, it is a matter of your preferance. A big factor is your height and what view of the trains you like. I am 6'2", my multilevels are a t 42" and 57", approx. Depth of the scene also affects the decision. A deep scene on the bottom requires a higher upper level or a less deep upper level if you want to be able to see the entire depth of the lower level. The best suggestion here would be to build a mockup and see what you think.

Gary
  9. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

gary so your levels are only 15 inches apart i was thinking 20 to 24 inches but 15 works for me thanks rich :D :D :D
  10. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Rich, I think 15" is the bare minimum, 20" would be better in terms of sight lines for the bottom level, but the trade off is how low do you want the bottom to be and how hight the top. That is, the lower the bottom the less fun it is to work under. The top height is limited by reach. You can stand on a step stool to work on it, I do all the time. But there is still a limit to how high you can go and still see to operate satisfactorily. I strongly suggest a mock up before you commit.

Gary
  11. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Rich:
    You want to see how comfortable you are at those working heights; also what you and your operators (or family) can see. I worked on a layout of a fellow who's a bit taller than I am (I'm 6') and his top level was at my eye level. This is realistic for viewing, but as a yard I could only see to the first track with cars on it. Too low can give you backaches.
  12. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

OK HERE WE GO THE REVISE LAYOUT SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK SO FAR THE RED OUTLINE IS THE BENCH WORK AND THE WORK BENCH IS UNDER THE STAGING YARD ON THE LEFT:D :D :D :D :D RICH

Attached Files:

13. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Rich,
    I like the last plan better than the first, this one has great possibilities for scenics/photographs later on. Still going to use a helix?

Shamus
    [​IMG]
  14. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

you didnt think it was to much shamus and still thinking about the helix do have a basic plan for the upper level you know need somewhere to put the logging operation and some other ops will see:D :D rich
  15. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

well I moved my work bench over to where I wanted it but it didn't fit right so I will be putting it along the short wall and that way am not blocking the doors still have to keep my garden tools and such in there
    :D :D :D rich
  16. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

how I need ideas

well been working on it and I think the work bench move will work better on the short wall more room belind me wouldn't be hitting the bench all the time with the back of my chair and think I can get a another foot in front of the helix? for a siding there:D :D rich

Attached Files:

17. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

do any of you have any plans for the turntable and engine area can't seem to find any on the web:D :D rich
  18. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

was out in the shed where the layout going was fun we got over 10inches of snow damm it was cold out there got the work bench move all I have to do is lower it down so I can sit I think standing and working n-scale models.engines,cars and stuff dont work for me got alot work to do out there :D :D :D :D :D :D rich

ps looks like I will be going with a double level too with contuction to begin jan or feb got to get alot more track,turnouts
  19. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Rich I hope you got a good heating system in the building!
  20. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

no heat tyson not yet got A/C for the summer months maybe just a space heater or something:D :D :D :D rich