track plan help

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by fooldancing, May 15, 2008.

1. fooldancing

fooldancing New Member

Hello again everyone,
    I have been away from the forum for a very long time (too Long), and I am ready to get back into my outdoor layout. Here is a picture of what I have so far. I put some heavy fabric down so I wouldn't have to mow or weed in between my track and layout. It's not much, but it is much bigger than the layout I have out front that is being over taken by weeds as I write this...LOL What I was hoping for is some help with a track plan. For the life of me I can't seem top come up with something other than a "L". I don't have any switches yet for siding or or anything. I don't mean to sound like I want you to do my work for me. On the contrary, I am hope to combine our collective ideas into one great little railroad. I have about 300' of track and my curves are 8' diameter. I probably have close to 3 full circles of 8's.
    Thank you and I hope you can help me out.,
    Matt Myers (central PA)

[​IMG]
    Here are the dimentions.
    The upper "L" is 13'10"wide the side of the "L" is 30'long the long staright is 58'long and the right edge is 20.5' deep

I have the fabric pretty secure and I plan on "staking" my track to the ground as well.
  2. ROD J H

ROD J H New Member

my garden railroad is a loop 30 feet long and 20 feet wide,with lots of plants and a small pond.I started out with a garden layout back in 1993,had lots of switches and sidings and it had 3 circles around 75 feet long and 25 feet wide.problem is over the years the switches fail, and the track needs constant maintence.allways have to level it,went to battery power saved a lot of work on the track.I would say keep it simple just a couple loops in dog bone shape looks good.insted of spending a lot of cash and hard work on switches and tons of track,try adding a small pond,tonnel,or small mountians with plants.bonsi trees look great in a garden railroad.give battery power a try you don,t have to keep the track clean and no conections to worry about
  3. mooreway

mooreway Member

I also have a quite simple layout. I just enjoy watching the trains go round, however I find that I need at least one siding to park a train in to allow for more then one to be on the layout at a time. I run battery power and have had good luck with it so far.

[​IMG]

this is a picture of my layout from last summer. I hope to get some more plants and structures on the layout this fall. right now I haven't done much because the temps are around 110 out.

hope this gives you some ideas. I think with outdoor layouts simple is better.