track elevation transition

eric halpin

Eric Halpin
Nov 10, 2006
Perth, Ontario
Fellas,

I am in the process of building my layout. I have several sections of track on elevated main line roadbed that will run into an engine service area as well as a small mine site that are not on roadbed. I have made several graduated ramps out of what we call bristol board in Canada (it is essentially thin cardboard). It struck me that this material may be a problem during ballasting due to the water and glue mixture swelling the bristol board. Do you think so and what other methods do you recommend to allow track to gently flow from one level to another?

Thanks
Eric

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
If it is a minor transition like you are doing, you can create the slope with layers of masking tape, which are more impervious to water-based scenicking.

You can also take the (belt, palm, orbital) sander to the cork (if that's what you're using), being careful to create a slope to the lower elevation that does not tilt to one side.

Andrew

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
You could use luan door skin material which is a thin plywood. It would need support to keep it from sagging so it can't span long distances. You don't mention what scale you are working in. For ho, I would support the luan every 6-12 inches. It can be bent vertically which will give a natural transition from level to grade which is necessary to keep trains from uncoupling.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Eric: if you have some foam insulation to spare, you might consider this (you'll also need a radius template):
mark two parallel lines on the foam showing the distance to go down, then another marking the thickness you'll need at the bottom.
Take your radius tool (I'd use 36" or 60" because I have them) and mark a curve from the top parallel line downwards. Then mark one that meets it from the bottom parallel line going up. Now cut that out very carefully! and cut out the bottom line. Place that on your sub-road-bed.
You might fudge it by cutting a straight slope instead.

eric halpin

Eric Halpin
Nov 10, 2006
Perth, Ontario
The bristol board covered in masking tape and then painted 'grimy black' worked great for slight (<1/4") transitions. However, I now have transition to feed elevated track from roadbed to the coal track leading to the coaling tower. This transition is about a 1" rise. I shall use the rigid foam method you described. Many thanks.