Track drawing software?

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
What do you use to draw your track plans? All I've been using is a compass and paper, but some of the track plans in the magazines look really nice. Just wondering what to use. Thanks.

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
I use 3rd PlanIt. Now I got the hang if the software, I can draw anything I can imagine. Not only train tracks and train stuff, but mock-ups for other projects too.

I recommend it. Expensive, but worth it.

TrainClown :)

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
I use RTS too. I downloaded the trial version of 3D PlanIt and it was impressive but the learning curve was a little too steep for me. If I'm going to spend that much on a program I need to be sure that I will be able to use it to the full degree. TC definately has it mastered. Maybe you should write a 3D PlanIt for dummies TC. :D :D :D

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
A note on RTS

Atlas RTS (the free software) is a somewhat stripped down version of WinRail, which costs $39. Winrail's big difference is they have tracksets and building outlines for darn near everything, instead of just Atlas track and a few buildings by Walthers, DPM, Lifelike, Atlas and RDM.

Atlas RTS is great for the price, but if you like it and want more, Winrail is basically similar

Since I make my living, such as it is, using and programming AutoCAD, that is what I've been using for my track planning. The drawback is the ease with which I can sit down & redesign the entire layout. Again, and again and again. Started planning the new layout May 9th of this year and finally got around to the "foam-breaking ceremony" last week on the 2'-6 x 7'-6 sawmill module for the Muddy Creek RR. I designed my last house in less time. (And I expect, the layout will take longer to build than that house did.)

Since this layout will be a series of modules or dioramas located around my living & work space & connected by long, super-lightweight removable sections, I can still spend countless more months at the computer endlessly redesigning the balance of the layout while making some actual progress. Even managed to run a train up and down the mountain, something I haven't been able to do in AutoCAD.

Wayne

Agatheron

Nov 8, 2003
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Mike,

For your layout and its immense size and levels, you'd almost be better off going with 3rd PlanIt, which can include lots of room for scenery... I've downloaded the test version of it, and the tutorial is really easy to follow and work through...

It's been on my list of things to buy for some time, but I will be getting it soon...

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Immense size !
Boy you sure got that one right. I've been working on a plan for SD90 for a while now and let me tell you, it is big! So big in fact that it is hard to view on any track plan. Let me show you what I mean.

Here is the whole plan of the lower level.

Attachments

• SD40 all plan.jpg
    SD40 all plan.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 285

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
So what do you all think? Am I wrong? Here are a few more pix to help you make up your mind.

TrainClown :wave: ;)

Attachments

• north end.jpg
    north end.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 282
  • south end.jpg
    south end.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 275
  • NW end.jpg
    NW end.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 276
  • 3D all.jpg
    3D all.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 275

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
TC if you enjoy doing this part of the hobby you and I need to talk as this is probably the hardest part for me to accomplish. I can see it in my head but can't seem to get it down on paper. The work you have done on Mike's plan is fantastic, the detail and graphics are both excellent.Thanks Pat