Track Cleaning

507wayne

Nov 21, 2006
Faribault, Mn, USA.
I am just getting involved with HO trains. I have scored a couple of sets on ebay. What is the best way to clean the track and engine wheels.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

rksstl

May 24, 2003
St. Peters Missouri
Visit site
The best way to clean the track is probably a Brite Boy block ( looks similar to an eraser available at hobby shops everywhere :D ) As far as wheel sets go there's alot of ways to skin a rabbit. I have a test track set up where I tack an old cotton cloth across it dampened with alcohol, hold the loco with one truck on the cloth and the other truck on the track and add the power. The wheels come out clean and shiny

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
Track cleaning is almost a black art. I think this is because the range of conditions are so varried. Some places produce a lot of dry dust. Other places seem to have a lot of fibers on the track and others seem to have excess corrosion. Your cleaning methods will ultimatly be what ever works best in your conditions. Some claim DRY cleaning is the only way to go. I would bet these are placed with dust problems ald little corrosion.

Try all methods available and see what works for you. A brightboy is a good start. Then try a track cleaning drag pad sort of car and see if this is enough. It this does not keep the track clean enough, see about one of the better despensing cars from Aztec or Tony's Trains... they are great.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi guys,

The secret to having clean track, is not to let it get dirty...I've been using a little item I devised for several years now and I'm selling it at a very affordable price on eBay, and it's having a great response from the modelers who've bought it. I'll be listing it today (evening) to run through next Monday. Search for HO TRACK GUARD, and you'll have the answer to the nasty job of keeping track clean!!
Mark it on your calendars!!
Good luck!
Gus.