Track cleaning cars

dcfxq

Has anyone here used either the Model Power or Roco track cleaning cars? I'm sure the Atlas does a better job but on a small layout like mine I hate to spend the $50 or so for the Atlas which also looks a bit too "outer-spacey" for my taste. :thumb:

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Hi dcfxq have you thought about making your own track cleaning car. Here is one I made up using a box car. The idea has been around for a long time.
Cut a small oblong of 1/8th. inch masonite to fit between the wheels. Glue two pins on the upper side and drill two holes in the bottom of the box car for the pins to go through. This allows the piece of masonite to float along the track without causing derailments of the car.

Attachments

• tc.jpg
    tc.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 240

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
This next fuzzy photo shows the pins on the upper side of the masonite.
A drop of Goo Gone on the masonite works wonders.

Attachments

• tc1.jpg
    tc1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 243

dcfxq

Hmmmm .... may have to take the extra MDC 34' Overton baggage car kit that was shipped by mistake and try it! :cool:

Thanks for the "how-to"!

SD90

I have an Aztec predetor, and it works great! It has brushes a magnet and a roller, and is in a gondola, I just drag it around behind the engines and let it do its thing.

fifer

I perfer the sliders as Robin had instructed and I used to make these but now I just look for the MP or Roco cars on Ebay and pic them up. The Masonite blocks work just as well.

Mike

dcfxq

I wound up getting a Roco (REA car) because it was there and I like it. :wave:

The "extra" Overton will not go to waste as I have other plans :eek: for it.I do like Robin's idea and may try that as a small project one of these days.