Toys R Us vs. Radioshack

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by vette_7t9, Nov 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timrock

timrock Active Member

(for vette 7t9)i bought a 7.2volt 2000mAh pack from Radio Shack hopeing it would be decent.well turned out to be a very unmatched sh it pack and i gave it to someone for use in replacing a couple of cells in thier DeWalt cordless drill.however,it did have a Tamiya style connecter.but No they cars are not Tamiya cars.
  2. timrock

timrock Active Member

(to Dean)when you say all of our cars,does that include mine?you think it would reach 125MPH?
  3. WESTSIDERIDER310

WESTSIDERIDER310 Member

Drop the radio crap cars and get a real rc car. vette_7t9 you must be a little kid, you better be or there is something wrong with you. You can put rockets on your radio crap car and still not come close. I can't beleive this crap....radio crap........ LOL
  4. bro

bro New Member

hey WESTSIDERRIFER310 than dont come in to reply well dont even read it[:p]
  5. Dean Guilberry

Dean Guilberry Member

westsiderider310 is much like most seasoned people in RC (an I agree ewith him). He probably was burned by radio scrap jumk rc cars and had to learn the hard way. I know you think they look cool and that you probbly would be happy but really listen to those of us that know junk when we see it. I personally would stay from Tamia as well it is some better but... I wont go on any longer. do what you want to do you'll learn and then be bitter about wasting the $$ on a inferior disposable rc vehicle.

Timrock I'm not sure what you mean by "all of our cars" but it sounds like you obviously know quite a bit about electric RC cars and I don't even know what your setup is and so therefore I wouldn't call you on it. I am sure 125+ can be done and will be documented, and I do stand by my statement that you should get verifiable numbers on your speeds and start blah blahing all over the local and not so local RC circles. At worst you will have some fun and get some attention and at best a sponsorship that will provide some if not all of your parts and motors tires etc to continue your quest.

wanna see some speed tether line rc car racing at http://www.rccaraction.com/rz/cars/video.asp they have some videos that are unbelievable. The cars are anchored to a pole and go round and round at 200+. search it out its worth seeing the short video.
    Also some great T-Max and and RS4 Super that does 100+.
  6. timrock

timrock Active Member

cool Dean.i down loaded a couple of the videos.the 200MPH nitro car hooked to a pole going in circles. pretty wild but thats not an RC car going that fast.meaning it wasnt controlled by a radio.
    the 100mph nitro RS4 looked like it got up to about 75-80mph and flipped over.judging by the video, it didnt look like it was going over 100mph.
  7. Dean Guilberry

Dean Guilberry Member

exactly my point! It is very hard to make something that weighs 10 pounds to go that fast w/o blowing off the track! I'm not saying it can't be done but I have been doing RC for many years and would have to see verified speed times to truly believe any 100+ claim. NOT THAT YOU HAVEN"T I just have seen too many people severly overate their speeds. I watched a car that has been clocked by a cop with radar at 88 mph and every now and then I meet someone who says their car will do 75 85 95 etc and when I watch it is obvious that it isn't going anyway near the speed of 88 mph that I saw verified. I had to actually get in my 1:1 truck to do a rough speed trial to proove to a dude he wasn't going over 50. Sure enough about 48 to 49 MPH.
  8. timrock

timrock Active Member

the car in the video weighs more around 4-5 lbs.and blew off the track much like my bolink car does when i take it up to those speeds.the problem is not the air getting under the cars` frame,it is the air geting under the body and swirling around making the car unstable and,ultimatly.flipping over.i build an airplane type wing to install on the front of the car but up side down with the plan of running it with out the body on it.havent tryed it yet.
    i had my bolink car clocked by a real car at 65mph with a 27 turn motor 16 cells.we followed behind it.i was the passenger controlling the RC.
    after,at a later date.i was at a place with a nice long strip with some people and i was running my car about 60-65 and making it pass right in front of us and some people were saying it has to be doing at least 100mph.but it was only doing 60-65.wich can be overwhelmingly fast to see it pass right in front of you.but eventually i ran a modified motor and it was easily reaching speeds of 100+and flipping over everytime just like that car in the video.the car i run now is an off road stadium style kit modified for speed runs on the street and i doesnt have this problem.
  9. Dean Guilberry

Dean Guilberry Member

The tether thing looks cool but I personally would be bored with this in a couple weeks. Not many crashes, round and round, no control, yep I'd be bored pretty quick. I like something that is in my control (or lack of control) to be exciting. I hate crashing but that is what makes things worth learning and getting better.
  10. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

I finally test drove that impreza, because its christmas!!!!! :D :D :D

My initial thoughts were it looked alright and the tires were of a not so up to par compound. I thought the body work was kinda on the heavy side compared to tru hobby light weight plastic bodies. Suspension was a downer, it sucked. The front just sinks in and the rear has barely any travel at all. It weighed in pretty light for a toy car, around 2 pounds. Some of the stickers were not put on properly; they werent stuck on nicely.

During my test drive i thought it was exceptionally fast! The motor supplies more than enough power to the rear wheels. A very nicely balanced car. Handling and speed are pretty good. The stock speed with a stock motor is 25-30 kph. I was pretty impressed by its performance.

Now before you doubt it, I can tell you what it can't compare with. It can't be compared to HPI sprint, HPI Super RS4, any of Tamiya electric hobby class cars.
    BUT it can compete with the likes of: Tamiya QD and even HPI Dash.

It is a highly impressive car, for only $99 canadian. It is the best 'toy' RC i've owned.
  11. bro

bro New Member

hey Vette
    did u say u have owned, does that mean you bought it already?
    if not you should look for radioshack RC but dont get the dodge ram get the H2 and get the 3000mAh battery across the broder US radioshack coz this is not available in canada radioshack and you will have a great surprise, like I did.
    BTW I don't work or own radioshack, and also not in RC bussiness, not like some of the replyer here[8D]
  12. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

Cool. Is the avalanche same as H2? cuz the avalanche is cheaper. Looks to be on same chassis.
  13. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

Ok, two more questions. Can a nicd powered car run nimh batteries too? I think nimh are better, but more maintenence.

Second: wat is the best 9.6 battery out?
  14. bro

bro New Member

there is no problem with NiCd motor run NiMh battery, well as far as I know NiMh shouldn't coz you any problem[?]
    Basically 9.6V rc battery = 8 x 1.2v rechargeable batterys, I don't know which 9.6v battery you are looking for, there are two kinds of 1) 8 x AA sizes wrap together or 2) 1pkg with plastic case, go check radioshack if they don't have most likely you have to get it online[8]
  15. bro

bro New Member

yes the Avalanche looks the same as H2 but not sure inside, I check parts # for example motor H2 have parts # but not on Avalanche[?]
  16. timrock

timrock Active Member

for 29$canadian more,you could`ve had a real RC car that goes 25-30 MPH right out of the box.and thats mph not kph plus you could have hopped it up later on when you had the money.now you are stuck with what you have.
  17. Dean Guilberry

Dean Guilberry Member

soooo sad you bought the Radio Scrapper. You will have fun with it but will end up tossing it in the trash or not using it before next crhistmas. had you bought a decent RC car you coould have had fun for years to come!

To Bro you made some comment about not working for a hobby shop or radio shack etc. It shows as you don't know cra* about RC. If you want to get something inferior listen to this kind of noise. People say things like "I don't work in the RC business I am clueless about Remote Control. I don't know the RC business that is why you should take my word..."
    Others ask for opinions and then go ahead and do what they were gonna do in the first place. I hope this thread helped someone else decide against waisting good hard earned cash on something inferior from RS or Wally World. Its the same for any sport/hobby. I ride Mountain Bikes and the same thing happens people buy a Huffy from Wally World because it looks like a real mountain bike and is hundreds less, then the parts start flying off and they spend more money buying a real mountain bike from a bike store. People get into it and then realize why the quality stuff is not sold at walmart and costs somewhat more $$$.

NiMh will work in place of NiCd however don't charge the NiMh with your NiCd charger (unless it states it's for NiMh) or you will kill the new battery before it's time. Also never run a NiMh completely down and store charged to get best life outta it.
  18. Dean Guilberry

Dean Guilberry Member

Vette, Bro Timrock
    Merry Christmas and enjoy all of your new toys and your family before we all have to go back to work (or school)and can't run our new goodies all day.
  19. c496

c496 Member

I dont mean to di your car or nothing but, * it can keep up with the dash* the dash is the sorriest, most downgradeable, slow as f*** car Ive ever had.

*Downgradeable* ahahahhah:):)

I use to like RADIO#@$% AND TOYS'BOUR US cars when I was seven
  20. c496

c496 Member

stop-action animation

I made the same mistake 2 years ago. I was mad when I bought a nitro car and could'nt hop it up because of no money(which I spent on the radioshack car). I would never get a car that says 9yrs old and up on the box.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.