Toys R Us vs. Radioshack

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by vette_7t9, Nov 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timrock

timrock Active Member

first of all,thank you Dean.finally somone who actually knows about this stuff instead of people typing out alot bs including calling me an Idiot.and stuff like` you would need a full length airport runway to even see 80MPH.(rockn82 posted that)

vette 7t9: i dont have a digital video to send or post.i plan to do some more speed runs this spring and will shoot some film of it on a digital cam.
    so ill put it out there for you and other people to see.
  2. dudex

dudex Member

I never said he didnt know some of his shiat. I will admit that some of his posts are correct, and make sense, but to say that his HP formula is right is utter nonsense. He said HP=Torque+RPM. which makes no sense. And he also has not posted his setup after being asked reasonably what it was, making me doubt very much that he even owns a car. He also has called me wrong on a number of occasions, including the HP thing, where he has zero experience. He said he does not like nitro because they stall too often, which shows he does not know very much about nitro wngines, because if he did he would be able to keep one running. And then he goes and says im wrong when I post soething about nitro, that anyone with some experience would know that I am right.
  3. craigp

craigp New Member

Stock Rustler specs are internal gearbox ratio is 2.72:1, std. gearing, 48p with 18t pinion, 84t spur. Rim dia. = 2.2", tire diam, 4.75". OK Mathemagicians, start doing some calculating!

I'd love to see the inside of the gearbox when those cheap plastic gears have been turning those kind of RPMS, talk about dust! LOL

To get an offroad car up to 120+ mph is going to take some special tires. The tire RPM would tear the rubber off the rims. On the velodromes they had been experimenting with new Kevlar belted tires to keep the rubber from expanding at the high RPM's. I've been in this business for a long time and am not aware of any tire mfgr. making belted onroad tires for offroad trucks. The major limiting factor for speed in most RC cars is in the tires or the inner liners especially in offroad tires. Plus at that kind of speed they would have to be perfectly balanced, the inserts would have to be glued in place to keep them from bunching up. Just several things that make the claim kind of questionable.

Any car Bolink made would have a hard time pushing over60 mph and especially not one without suspension. I'd like to know what model that was since all the Bolink cars with the exception of the Legends car had some sort of rear suspension. Oval cars had t-plates with a single centered rear shock.
  4. craigp

craigp New Member

Well after researching the specs of the internals on the Rustler and then doing some calcs using the handy on-line calcualtor here's what the super Rustler would have to be running to go 125mph.

Internal gear ratio=2.72:1
    Tire Dia.=4.75"
    Calculated gear ratio (spur/pinion),(84/25)=3.36:1
    Final drive ratio=9.14:1
    Estimated motor RPM@load=80,000rpm
    Estimated Speed=125.6mph
  5. timrock

timrock Active Member

Tire Dia.=3.50
  6. Dean Guilberry

Dean Guilberry Member

Well I have personally made hard foam tires for an RC-10GT and they had less traction than the softer foam tires for on-road cars but for straight away runs they worked very well. The hard nitral rubber was cut from a sheet of 1/2" thick rubber with a hole saw and glued together for desired thickness. The donut was CA glue mounted on a stock RC10-GT rim and then turned down to size on a tire truing mill machine! They worked real good for asphalt/cement runs. I had a few people asking me for them. We made a few custom sizes (we can make them any diameter) for others but never put much effort into them.
    We also have taken stock RPM street tires (foam filled rubber glue on street tires for RC-10) and 1st put two foam inserts into one tire and glue them real good. Then I took a small piece of monofilament fishing string and wrapped the outside of the tire to keep them from expanding. This works for a few runs until the mono line wears out and breaks then you can simply restring them.

I have heard of others that take advantage of the tire expanding to get additional top end speed. The tires as they grow actually carry the car over more ground per rpm. When the tire has a smaller circumference during the low speeds it allows for higher gearing. I have only heard of this and really don't think much of this theory as the cars I have get kinda squirrelly handling after the tires start to balloon out.
  7. timrock

timrock Active Member

well if the tires start to `balloon out`,it is from the certifugal force,i`m sure you realize.if they grow in diameter while the car is at high speed,it would,indeed,change the shaft to foot ratio.which would actually make it a higher ratio and could possibly give you more top speed.but less of the tire will have contact with the track/runway/road so they would have less traction and stability.that would be why you would experince the `squerrelly` handling.

im not sure if that happens with the drive wheels on my cars.i have thought about that but i always assumed the weight of the car would keep the tires from ballooing out.
  8. timrock

timrock Active Member

they might grow in diameter at high speeds but it isnt noticeable to me.
  9. timrock

timrock Active Member

cenrtifugal*
  10. mastmec

mastmec Member

It's spelled 'centrifugal'
  11. timrock

timrock Active Member

yeah you are right
  12. timrock

timrock Active Member

centrifugal force is what engages a clutch on a nitro rc,by the way.i mention this because mastec says i am a moron and i dont even know how a clutch works.which is a laugh.
  13. timrock

timrock Active Member

in other words,mastec tryed to say that i dont know how clutches work.that is what the laugh would be about.
  14. dudex

dudex Member

Hey Tim if you can answer this then I might regain some confidence in you. Centrifugal force is actually a made up force and is only what you feel when going in a circle. What is the actual physics term and how does it work?
  15. timrock

timrock Active Member

why am i so interrogated by people in this forum,called an idiot and corrected in my spelling?you know what?take that as a retorical question.anyway,to answer you question,i will use the example of the clutch in you nitro car.the shoes are directly connected to the shaft and when you hit the gas the motor begins to spin fast enough to create enough centrifugal force to work against the springs that hold the shoes close to the center of the shaft and begin to rub against the insinde of your clutch bell and when fully engaged,they dont slip.that is if it is working well.
  16. timrock

timrock Active Member

dudex,i dont know what you mean by centrifugal force is `made up` and is `only` what you feel by going in a circle.
  17. mastmec

mastmec Member

I think some of this is the most intellectual thoughts you've ever said on this forum, did you just read that out of a book? Good for you.
  18. timrock

timrock Active Member

everything i post is mostly intellectual.except when i call you a moron because that is what i `feel` about you.a total a hole in additon to that.
  19. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

How were you allowed to live? If all that is "intellectual" I should probably have more respect than I do for a baked potato. The smartest thing I think i have heard you say is .... is.... well, nothing.
  20. timrock

timrock Active Member

rockn82.you are at a lower level of intelligence were you would not understand.so go eat your baked patato.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.