Totally Totally Off-Topic (Don't Say I Didn't Warn You)

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
You know, sometimes it's amazing what you find when you try a different search engine. Somebody told me about a new one this morning (or at least one I haven't tried) - searchit.com.

My usual test of a search engine is typing my own name in. Well,TA-DA!!! It found a quote of mine that somebody used when writing an article for an online newsletter last spring.

http://www.borzou.com/distractiontest/ciafardinisports/ciafardinisports1.htm

< scroll down to near the bottom - that's me he's quoting from an article I was interviewed for in MLB>

Not a really big deal, but still, the first time I know about that I've been quoted second-hand. What I also find interesting is that, when you're quoted or interviewed, the stuff you think is *really* interesting usually isn't used in the article, or quoted in an offshoot such as this. The stuff they do use is usually quite blase, if you will, compared to other stuff you talk about.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Know what you mean! -- :) A question I asked Douglas Adams - (1952 -2001)( Hitchhikers Guide To the Galaxy) - was included in a memorium to him, 6 Years after I asked him on an online chat - and 1 Year after he died.

I was so moved that I mailed the link to all my buds... :)

gromit

Mar 25, 2002
Pleasantville, NJ
Visit site
Search Engines

I haven't found anything as the now defunct Infoseek search engine yet. Infoseek allowed you to do a search, then do another search within the results of the first seach and so on. It made seaching for stuff so much more efficent. I know in the advance setting for search engines they allowed you to use and, or, etc, to narrow down your seach, but it's just not the same.

I once spent 90 minutes searching for a foam insulation product I saw on the This Old House show, but didn't recall the name of it. Infoseek was an invalueable tool in my quest. I'll miss it, RIP. :(

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Ngauger, I'm stretching here, but was 42 the answer to the question which held the clue to the mysteries of the universe? And was the question something like what is 6x8? I only remember the "scrabble" type stones used to come up with the question. And what is the reference to the towel? Or has your post got nothing to do with Hitchhikers?

Gary

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
gary, yes it all has to do with HH. :)

"An organized & well equipped Hitchiker will always know where his towel is" :)

and yes the "Scrabble" answer was "42" - when they randomly place the tiles on the board - the "Question" was - What is Six times Eight" - to which Ford replied "I always thought there was something fundamentaly wrong with the universe" :)

I am a 60's 70's Sci-Fi nut and also Heavy into English Humor - Monty Python especially - The only thing better than movies and TV is Trains.. :D :rolleyes: :D

-- Mikey --

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Mikey, I saw that show over 20 years ago and the fact that I remember it at all amazes me. Over the years I haven't been particularly kind to my remembery organ. Anyway, I do remember the first episode when it was announced that planet Earth was scheduled to be destroyed to make way for an intergalactic highway. Funny stuff. And Monty Python was a can't miss back then. Sorry I won't be able to trade quips with you however.

Gary

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Gary -- That's ok, I don't remember much myself.. - I'm still waiting for the movie.. lol

Anyways, this isn't really the place for that stuff :)

Trains are more important ~~~~ :D :D :D ~~~~~

Thanks for the posts though - It's always nice to go back again!! :)

~~~~ Mikey

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
I sass you froods. I just finished re-reading "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency", and am ready to dive back into "The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul"

I know where my towel is and have a name to throw in the pile. Anyone who likes the Hitchhikers Guide trilogy (5 books) will really enjoy Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.

Pratchett also wrote a book with Neil Gaimen (sp?) titled "The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch." or "Good Omens" depending on when it was published. Great reading for those who enjoy british humor, biting satire and poking fun at the end of the world. A working familiarity with The Revelation of St. John is required for full comedic effect.

Wow! this is realy off topic, WHY WASN'T I WARNED?

And theres a show on BBC America called "Coupling" that is absolutely THE funniest show on TV right now.

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Yakko, I just finished reading "The Salmon of Doubt" His son compiled it from all of Douglas' works & other notes when he died.

It's good!! :)

Thanks for the recommendations for the other writers..

see Ya!!! :D ~~ Mikey

Attachments

• greenguy.gif
    greenguy.gif
    2 KB · Views: 57