Total newbie!

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Hi Everyone,

I just bought my first loco on Friday - a Proto 2000 SW9 in CN livery! I thought I wanted steam but the detailing on this baby is not to be believed, and since I'm modelling the mid 1950s just about anything goes.

Up til now I've been building a diorama, I'm hooked on model factories, and little tiny people walking down the streets of my minature city. Due to boring personal reasons :rolleyes: I've had a lot of time on my hands, and building this thing has been totally fun.

I've got streetcar tracks along the front and RR tracks along the back, so of course I needed a train....

Now I guess I'll need to power the sucker up so I can see how she handles.
heh heh heh...

C

Catt

Hi ya Spitfire welcome to the Gauge.Now ya need a camera so you can show the rest of us what your up to.:D

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
Welcome to the Gauge spitfire. Great start for a motive power choice, as you can't go wrong with a Proto 2000 unit.
If you are working on a diorama then be sure to put in some industries and business that you can carry out switching operations with and if you have any questions, remember that the dumbest question in existance is the one which was never asked and the gauge is full of model railroaders who are more than willing to help you out.
BTW, If you are looking for steam power, Hobbycraft Canada will soon be releasing the (I beleve) final run of the excelent Proto 2000 0-8-0 steam switcher in both CN and CP lettering.
Have a great one and happy modeling:D :D :D.

Terry

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Spitfire!
Welcome to The Gauge!:)
That's a great locomotive you've got...I've got three of those, in both N scale, & HO.
I'm really into building dioramas too.
My current layout is an industrial switching layout in N scale, & I built it like a diorama. It's very small...on a shelf approx. 1x5 feet.
It has three industries, a chemical plant, a scrap yard, & a food processing plant, each with 2 track spurs...It makes for some fun switching operations.
You can click on the "www" tab at the bottom of my post to see my homepage, & some pictures.
Here's another pic of one of my SW9's.

Attachments

• mvc-003f.jpg
    mvc-003f.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 133

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi spitfire, and a big welcome to the gauge. You might just as well get used to these guys in here right now, as they will just keep on at you to show some photo's of your work.:D:D

Shamus

Click Charlies profile.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Spitfire and welcome aboard. Feel free to join in on anything here.

Charlie....Your URL didn't show up on me either. Perhaps we have reached the end of the internet?????:D :eek:

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Hi Spitfire!

Yes, the P2K SW9 is a great little loco - I really enjoy mine!

Of course, my SW9 is in ROCK ISLAND black scheme, which enhances its apperance and value (well, to me at least!).

But SOMEONE must model those other "minor" roads, like CN,

;)

so welcome aboard!

:)

- George

(Who FINALLY has internet capability at the new house...and the start of a layout as well...and more boxes to unpack ....)

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Hi spitfire,
Welcome to the "comedy club, and part time slave driver's clique" So, where's the pictures :D :D :D
The neatest thing about dioramas, is, that you can do all the things that can be done on a layout, without taking up the whole house. That SW9 is a good start, especially with the restricted operating space.

OH, Charlie, I think that "cool" URL got loaded into that reefer before you could get the response posted;) :D :D

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks for the welcome guys! I would love to post some pix. I'm planning to get a digital camera - hopefully this coming weekend, so you'll soon be swamped by my work in progress.:D :D :D

I just have one little question for George: Rock Island? Is that some kind of spur??? ;)

Someone asked for generation info - happy to oblige. Baby boomer and still as cool as ever! :cool:

Val
aka Spitfire

[space reserved for cool sig]

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Hey!!!

You don't pull on Superman's cape,
You don't spit into the wind,
You don't pull the mask off the ol'Lone Ranger,
And you don't mess around with the ROCK ISLAND LINE, friend !!!

- THE ROCK ISLAND MAFIA

(Or at least no more messing around than WE do with those OTHER roads some people insist on modeling!)

;)

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by N Gauger

George - Does the Rock Island Mafia "take care of problem jokesters" by letting them "help" lay ballast???

:D :D :D :D :) ~~ Mikey (An "I-talian")

Luko Brazzi (sp?) sleeps with the fishes -- Godfather Trilogy [/B]

An "offer they can't refuse" ??!!??

:D

- George

PS Spitfire - you don't have to be crazy to post here - but it helps!

;)

- G

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Welcome aboard Spitfire,

Yea the RI was a spur, a GREAT big one:)

N-Gauger, Tyson, I'll expect you two here laying ballast in the near future:) :D :) Bring your shovels it's going to be a long day;)