tortoise machine and hand made turnouts??

DWP

I have been building my own turnouts using code 70 rail. N gauge.
I'm having problems getting the tortoise to move the points all the way.
I'm using the wire that came with the switch. I tried adjusting the slide on the machine up and down.
The hole on the throw bar was lined up on center with the switch machine.
The template was a #6 copied from the fasttracks website. I even notch
the side of the points to try and get a little more flex in the rails.
any ideas?
DP

Gary Pfeil

Ditto what Roger said. Just try the next larger wire size. The size you need is actually determined by the resistance of the points. But no problem using larger wire. Just drill holes in the black throw and the green slide to match the wire. Keep increasing size till it works.

Gary

CalFlash

How thick is your combined roadbed/subroadbed? If it's much thicker than 1" total, you'll definitely want thicker wire. Are you hinging the point rails or "bending" them? The latter means a fairly stiff mechanism requiring more strength (thicker wire).

DWP

I.m "bending" them. Not sure how to hinge them.
The Tortoise machine is mounted about 1/4 below the Track.
I.m using micro engeering code 70 rail. The track is for HOn30, "n Gauge spects". I'm hoping to use Stub turnouts also. I.ll pick up an assortment of wire tonight. Thanks for the help.
Dave

CalFlash

Problem is that the shorter you make something, the stiffer it seems. HO turnouts in code 70 wouldn't be a problem but in smaller scales go with the larger wire for the Tortoise. Try about .032 music wire.