Toronto Xmas Train Show

RobertInOntario

I plan to be there, probably with at least one of my sons. Yes, it would be great to meet up again! I'm looking forward as this is always a great show with lots of variety. Cheers, Rob

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Not likely, I'll be working Saturday. Also, the link to the printable PDF doesn't work. I zoomed in on the graphic, and there's no mention of admission...

... which brings me to why I've given up on the Toronto shows. The last few times I've been to any of the shows at the International Centre, I've paid far too much only to see far too little for the price of admission. I'll go to the smaller, local shows (Kitchener, Paris, Woodstock, Ancaster), and pay $3-4 bucks and see just as much.

RobertInOntario

Not likely, I'll be working Saturday. Also, the link to the printable PDF doesn't work. I zoomed in on the graphic, and there's no mention of admission...

... which brings me to why I've given up on the Toronto shows. The last few times I've been to any of the shows at the International Centre, I've paid far too much only to see far too little for the price of admission. I'll go to the smaller, local shows (Kitchener, Paris, Woodstock, Ancaster), and pay $3-4 bucks and see just as much.

I also enjoy the smaller shows -- you do get good value for your money (an inexpensive day out with the kids:mrgreen:) and they're easier to get to, etc. Two that I really like are the Whitby one (usually the weekend following the Toronto show [it's actually the weekend BEFORE, not after -- see below) and the Barrie one in February. ... I'll have to try to get to some of the ones you mention, such as Paris and Woodstock.

Having said that, I don't remember the Toronto show being overly expensive. What I like about the Toronto show is that there is a huge variety of scales -- lots of HO stuff for me and lots of old 0 gauge trains which my kids really like. They also have some garden scale live steam which is really neat, as well as display booths for full-scale heritage trains (Tottenham, John St. Roundhouse). And being a British train enthusiast, there are usually several British layouts to check out.

Just some thoughts!
Cheers,
Rob

RobertInOntario

I'll be at the show with the Narrow Gauge Madness Gang...

Leave room on your calendar for the Ontario Narrow Gauge Show on April 18, 2009:thumb:

Take a look at last year's show...

I'd be interested in going to the Narrow Gauge Madness event in April if possible. I enjoyed riding on the Portage Flyer this summer. I'd also like to meet up with any Gauge members at the Toronto show so I might try to pop over. Cheers, Rob

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
I'll be there for the 10 am opening on Sunday and stick around for a couple of hours. I'll be wearing a long black leather trench coat, hoodie and jeans.

Just call me Mr. Sunshine. ;-) LOL!!!

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Toronto Railway Heritage Center

Quoting: Derek Boles
Toronto Railway Heritage Moderator

The Christmas Train Show will be happening this Saturday and Sunday at the International Centre out by Pearson Airport. The Toronto Railway Historical Association will have a booth at the show, which is now the largest annual train show in the GTA.

On display will be an updated plan for the Toronto Railway Heritage Centre, the first time that an official park plan has been displayed in public. In the past we have displayed conceptual drawings but this is the real deal and most of what you see on the plan will probably be in place by this time next year.

If you attend and we've never met, please introduce yourself. I will be there all day, both days, although I do tend to wander a bit.

For more information and a coupon good for a $2 discount, go to:

http://www.trha.ca/news.html

Derek Boles
Toronto Railway Heritage Moderator