Toronto GTA - Homasote Dealer

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Jan 21, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi guys and gals. :wave:

It's been awhile and I'm still enjoying the last few remaining days of summer before I gear up and start modeling again.

Hope this message finds all my friends at The Gauge in good health!

I know that there are a few people in my neck of the woods who have been struggling to find a Dealer who sells homasote. Well I don't remember if I posted this information before so I thought I'd share the link.

http://www.canpages.ca/page/ON/etobicoke/commonwealth-plywood-co-ltd/1519367.html#:

They sell 1/2 inch 4 x 8 sheets for about 22.00 bucks plus tax. Their hours are kinda crappy, however I personally will take what I can get at this point, Mon - Fri 8 am to 4 pm. I offered to work on the weekends for them if I could get my lumber for free however the guy on the phone jokingly laughed and said, "that probably wouldn't happen".

Oh well.

Take care, and I look forward to start working on my layout this fall.

Shane

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Shane. I believe Ontario Plywood Specialties, in Hamilton, also carries Homasote, although I couldn't tell you the price. They advertise free delivery (pretty tough carrying those sheets while riding a bicycle :p:-D ) and claim to serve the Niagara Peninsula and the GTA. Not much on their website, but there is a 'phone number and address. ;)

Wayne

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Jan 21, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hey Doc. That's one more to add to the list. :thumb:

I'm having a blonde moment here, is there a list of compiled links to MMR resources on the site. Perhaps it might be useful to set something up?

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Homasote (tm)

Homasote is the brand name for an insulating board material that is made from recycled paperback books or magazines.
It's a grey board, commonly 4'x8' and about 1/2" thick. It retains somewhat the feel of layers of paper. The board is a bit more flexible than plywood.
Homasote has 2 properties that endear it to us. It is a good sound-deadening material and it takes spikes, pins, tacks, nails and screws easily but holds them. It is a beautiful material to use as roadbed under hand-laid track and is good under all other tracks as well. Most modellers who use it use it as roadbed on top of plywood or other solid foundation (instead of cork).