Toronto Go Trains.

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by tetters, Jan 2, 2007.

1. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

Hey there. I work right across the street from the yard where Go Transit parks their trains during lull between commuter rush hours. I figured I'd take a few pictures and post up. On the first day I even snapped up a west bound VIA Rail engine pushing a consist of passenger cars which I thought was kinda neat. Hope you all enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yard ladder looking Eastbound under Spadina Avenue toward Union Station

[​IMG]

Yard looking Westbound towards Bathurst Avenue.

[​IMG]

Now where did I park my train??? Looking east bound again. You can see the Rogers Center (formly Skydome) and the base of the CN Tower.

[​IMG]

The other "business end" of things.

[​IMG]
  2. stripes

stripes Member

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing!
    David
  3. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Great shots. I remember that area. Thanks for sharing.
  4. tetters

No problem gents. Warning though. The photo bug bit me, so I ended up taking a few more at lunch.

Couple of track detail shoots taken on the East side of the Spadina Ave bridge looking towards Union.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

# 540 sitting on the tracks.

[​IMG]

I was going to take a pic of all of the passenger cars but was treated to this guy coming in instead.

[​IMG]

# 553 motoring into the city pulling 8 Bombardier two level commuter cars.

[​IMG]

Looking down on # 530 & # # 540

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all for now. :D
  5. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Huh, Toronto sure looks different with out 3 feet of snow... I say this because last time I was there, I caught that nice blizzard of '03. Nice pics, thanks for sharing.
  6. viperman

viperman Active Member

Cool pics! Definitely more attractive than the Metra trains we have around Chicago
  7. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

Great pix. Reminds me of my visit to much of the same area last November when I was in town. I took some pix, too, but nothing as good as yours. Let's have more.
  8. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Modelling observation: The only bit on the loco body that is painted black is on the hood in front of the cab windows. The rest of that is weathering. Number boards. The chassis is also black.
    Note the ditch lights under the board at the front that says GO. Also note the sidways T in the GO, the original name of the system was Government of Ontario Transit.
    In the early 1960s, CNR built a line so that freight trains could bypass Toronto, leaving an under-used 2 to 4 track mainline running along Lake Ontario into the heart of Toronto. The provincial government looked at this and figured that they could run trains cheaper than building another 6 lanes of highway through a built-up area.
  9. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks for the great pics! I thought this thread was going to be about the loss of engineering jobs at GO in a cost cutting measure. :(

If you have a chance, I would love to see more of the Bathurst St, bridge.

Val
  10. RobertInOntario

RobertInOntario Active Member

Those are great pics, both in terms of having them as reference for modelling trains as well as track and surrounding detail -- not to mention that they're just great train shots! Thanks, Rob
  11. tetters

Thanks for the brief history. I'm glad they decided to run trains instead.:D
  12. tetters

I think I can swing that for you. I'll post up in the same thread.
  13. 65GASSER

65GASSER Member

Hey I rode the Metra a few times to and from Chicago!
    Those are some sweet pics Shane!
  14. tetters

Val asked for some bridge pics so I snapped a few today...and then some. sign1

Looking west... Notice the service ramp for vehicles to access the yard tracks on the right.

[​IMG]

Detail shot of the top corner, rivets et all.

[​IMG]

The upper truss cross bracing girders and stuff. FYI - The cables spanning the bridge are for the TTC street cars which cross the bridge North and South.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Street level support.

[​IMG]

I never really noticed until looking at these pictures and realized that there is a lot going on here. Not from an engineering perspective but more as a layman. I see a ton of rivets everywhere, the different sizes of steel beams and peices. The angles on the thing. Also the colours; rust, black, whites, browns...It's all there. We can only fake these kinds of details. It would be neat to actually "produce" them in some way like the enviroment does over time.

More to come.
  15. tetters

More...

A few of Toronto's Finest on bike patrol...in January!!!

[​IMG]

I'm very impressed sometime at what lengths graffitti artists will go to in order to tag something.

[​IMG]

Details of the bridge lights, and support for the electircal and tele-com wires.

[​IMG]

Nice and close shot of the supports.

[​IMG]

More tagging by "VC"

[​IMG]

There you go I hope I didn't over do it. :D
  16. tetters

Last batch. I gotta go find some trains!

Signage!

[​IMG]

Asphalt anyone?

[​IMG]

I thought this pic was great. They left the old track in and just put the fence right over top of it. I have to remember to add something like this as scenery when I finally get aroung to building my own layout. Use some old brass track for it...

[​IMG]

Retaining wall, graffiti and general lack of "house-keeping". sign1

[​IMG]

The front of bill-board was the usual assult on the senses. The back to me was much more interesting.

[​IMG]
  17. 65GASSER

65GASSER Member

Man I really enjoy these pictures. Especially the fence over the oldrails. Thats pretty cool!
  18. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

Thanks, great pics!

Rick
  19. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

More ancient history: IIRC, the Bathurst bridge originally went in a more sothwesterly direction, coming out the other side of Fort York (you can see Fort Yrok in a couple of the pictures). At the time of one of the great reconstructions (Union Station in the 20s?) the whole bridge was swung around in line with Bathurst Street.
    Now, how about that modular concrete wall constuction? Would anyone model that?
  20. stuart_canada

stuart_canada Member