Top 5 Questions

Tyson Rayles

The following are my favorite top 5 questions non- model railroaders ask when seeing my still under construction layout.
5- Do these layouts come in different shapes and sizes?
4- Bet you got over a hundred bucks in this, uh?
3- Never seen these at Walmart's, can you only buy layouts at a hobby shop?
2- I noticed you have to stop the trains when you get to one end, why didn't you make it so they would keep goimg round and round?

And my all time favorite!!!!!

1- After you get it finished how long will it take you to set it up and take it down each year at Christmas????

Woodie

My top five........

1. Do an Uncle Festa and make 'em crash!
2. Make e'm go down that track. (The one with the bodgey turnout!)
3. I used to ride that one to work every day!
4. How many can you make go at once?
5. Make e'm go flat chat!

And my prize one?????

Can I have a go?..... Can I? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze??

:D :D

Bill Pontin

Five as they check out my "N" scale layout:
1. Everything is too small, you must go blind working on it?
2. Howja make those, (as they point an then touchy feely)
3. Are you going to take more room on the porch for your layout?
4. Oh they are cute, do you think my kids would like something
like this?
5. Why do you have all those trains (rolling stock), you don't
use them all?

my favorite - What do all these switches do ... as they click, click them (grrrrrrrrrr) :eek:

Bill P :D

Tyson Rayles

Yeah, it didn'd take long before people were warned that if they wanted to touch ANYTHING, a $500 advance deposit was required.:D

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Those of you who have seen the module photos I posted will understand why my "top five" are all the same,,

Does the bridge work????

Pete

5) Is that a new car, I don't remember it?
4) How much did you spend on that one?
3) Can you move all these wires and cords?
2) Are you done playing with that yet?
1) Didn't you say you were going to move that into the garage?

My wife is the only one who sees the layout on a regular basis.
:D

Bob Collins

Like I said on another thread.... I don't like people, so don't let them near the house, let alone the basement. I have all my rolling stock painted black as well as all my structures, so no comments about cutesy either:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D :( :(

Bob

Drew1125

I'm in the same boat as Yakkowarner, since the only people who ever see my layout are generally my wife & daughters.
I must preface this by adding that the women in this house don't ask questions in so much as they offer commentary.:rolleyes:
1. That's cute honey...what does it do?
2. Are you ever going to finish this thing?
3. When do I get to see a train run?
4. It just goes from here to there?...BORING!
And one of the ones I cherish the most came from my dear wife when she went to a train show with me last year...
5. Ooooo, why don't you buy the red one? I reeeally like the red one!:confused:

Oh well...I'm a living example of that old axiom...
"Ya can't live with em...ya can't live without em"

BDC

#5: Isn't that just the cutest little thing?
#4: You mean you still play with toys?
#3: I didn't think you had any kids. Do you?
#2: So they go around in a big circle. Isn't that nice.
#1: Do you want me to make 'Choo-Choo' sounds for you or do you do that yourself? :mad:

I don't invite people to come by anymore.

Gary Pfeil

Not too many people see my railroad either, and my wife usually doesn't have too much to say about it, being used to it for some time now. But awhile back she had one of her friends over and asked me to show her the layout. As she walked around, she would pick things up like a bottle of Woodland Scenics static grass, look at the price on it and go "$7.00!" then proceed to the next item and so on. She was joking but I really didn't appreciate the possible waking up of my wife's interest! Yes, a lot of money gets tied up in this hobby and fortunate are those such as myself whose wife's are oblivious to it! Luckily for me when a few brass steam locos were spotted (painted) they were in no position to know better when I casually said they cost about$90. The reaction "Oh my god!" amused me to no end, if they only knew the truth!

Gary

Bill Pontin

Gary, I was joking with you only because I was caught last week. For a while I had been searching off and on for Kato's AT & SF E8s, A and B locomotive units. While visiting relatives out of town I found a pair and bought them on the spot. Sure enough it never fails, checking e-bay several days later, I see another pair listed, different set, different engine numbers, NIB, wow!. I bid on them not fully expecting to win. You guessed it, I won. Trying to justify that expenditure in our budget was rough. My hobby budget is under tight scrutiny now. Guess I will just lay low for a while, hmmm, I see on the back of the Kato box they also make just the A unit with engine number 5890.:rolleyes:

Bill P

Gary Pfeil

Things that help hide monies spent: First and most important, and probably not all that common, financial araingements between husband and wife. Both work, incomes comparable. All expenses such as mortgage, utilities, etc, are split 50/50. Not too common I bet. Each of our incomes after that are ours to save, invest or spend as we see fit. No questions asked. While this may not be easy to implement, in my opinion it removes the #1 cause of marital arguments. Now, if I were to say I don't want to spend x amount of dollars to go somewhere or do something my wife would like to do, citing lack of cash, and she knew I had just spent several hundred dollars on a model, that may not fly. Have the models sent to your office and bring them in when she's not home. On the rare occasion when she notices something she hasn't seen before, "Oh, I've had that awhile, hey, feel like going to a movie?" Alternate with " Yeah, isn't that cool? I got it for $50!" It helps to be blessed with a wife who has her own artistic interests, who doesn't mind the amount of time you spend on the hobby since she's busy also. That takes care of the #2 reason for arguments, "you don't spend enough time with me". After dinner most nights, she'll say,"so, are you going downstairs tonight?" hoping I am so she can go paint. Ain't life wonderful? How may of you have wives that when asked if they'd like to go to a movie say not really, I'd rather paint. Why don't you go work on your railroad.

Gary

rockislandmike

LOL some of that reminds me of my relationship with my lovely wife. Late last year I was on a 'reckless' buying spree, and built up my inventory substantially. A few months ago, though, my wife and I sat down and put together a new budget that includes a $200 "slush fund" (each) that we can spend on whatever we want, no questions asked. Lunch money has to come out of there too, but if you bring lunch most days (as I do, much healthier and much cheaper anyways), then it counts towards the grocery budget instead.

She's also a "project" person as well. I.e., her hobbies are somewhat varied, but once she gets into them, she becomes obsessed until the project is finished. THAT is when I get the most train time - otherwise I'll do a few hours here, few hours there, and she doesn't seem to mind. I spent two hours last night inventorying all my rail units for car cards, while she ended up napping on the couch. She's waiting for a release of new funds b4 she can start on her new project (redoing some dining room chairs), while I've got all the lumber and supplies I need to complete about 80% of my benchwork (and I should still have $$ left to pick up something near the end of the month).

Bob Collins

Since I don't spend any more on trains than I did smoking and hanging around in bars it all balances out and besides, my wife gets a lot more sleep as she isn't chasing around all night looking for me and that makes her a happier person.

I think the big thing I can do to keep our happy home is not to let my wife read this thread. We've both worked hard during the 45 years we've been married and we share. We also communicate. She knows that building this layout has been a dream of mine since before we were married and I think she is quite happy to see me have the enthusiasm I do for such a project.

The funny thing for me is that I had always thought of it as being just my winter project, but that isn't really true. As it will be 90 degrees outside this afternoon here I will retreat to the nice cool basement to do some gandy dancing on a yard.

I think the most interesting thing that has happened to me since I began this adventure is to realize that, as many of you have said, I will never finish it. That's fine. Can I look forward to never finishing it?

And I do look forward to having folks come visit me and ask all the questions they want. I particularly look forward to the kids coming to visit. I'm planning to build a high bench along one wall where half a dozen kids can sit at once and watch what is going on.

:D :D :D

Bob

Vic

RULES FOR VISITORS

1. Never call anything on this layout "cute"
2. Do not ask me how much it cost. None of your business.
3. Do not touch anything...on penalty of death.
4. Children with chocolate on their faces are not welcome.
5. Do not ask how fast will it go.
6. Do not mention your Lionel train your mother threw away
when you went off to college.
7. No pets allowed.
8. Keep your hands in your pockets.
9. All visitors are subject to search before leaving.
10. Yes...the coffee is free...help yourself.

Reguarding #6, I think everyone over the age of 35 owned a Lionel train that was thrown away at some point. By my count, the country should be ass-deep in broken, thrown-away Lionel trains. Could someone please check my math?

Since I bought my wife her new sewing machine, she has little to say about the money I spend on the railroad. Trust me, you can spend alot of money on a sewing machine. and programs for the sewing machine aren't cheap either.

THe secret (as stated by others) is to have seperate fun accounts. As long as I don't spend more than my allowance on the trains I, don't have to worry about it.

rockislandmike

LOL I got my wife a sewing machine for her bday in January as well. She's done a couple of projects already, and I had to laugh at her like she does me, cause she made a purse that ended up costing twice as much for materials et al than if she just bought it at a store. So I think now we're even.

Bill Pontin

To clear up any possible misunderstanding, my wife understands my hobby and supports me. She attends train shows and actively gives opinions and suggestions on my handiwork. It's a two way street, I support her doll collecting by going to her doll shows to repairing the parapelegia ones she picks up in scratch and dent boxes. We are both cognizant of each other's collections, her collection far exceeds the value of my trains. To answer Davids post on another thread, we are blessed with children and grandchildren who also appreciate our collections and if they did not keep them, they would know how to dispose of our collections. My post about getting caught was basically directed good naturedly at those who, like myself, sometimes get a little carried away and over-extend themselves. I still believe that if it comes too easy it is not appreciated.
Bill P. :) :) :)